Author Topic: Pay to park on your own street !  (Read 6142 times)

Big Dave

• View Profile
Re: Pay to park on your own street !
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 07:27:03 AM »
Your choice if you want to pay for preferential parking....

'preferential parking' - what's that?

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
Residents' parking, where you do effectively have the sole right to park on the highway in the region of our house

About 30 years ago I had an issue where a bus stop was moved a couple of lamp posts to right outside our house effectively making it a no parking area. Had quite a battle on to get it moved one lamp post away where there were no houses. Won in the end with help from my local councillor. I since built a driveway and had the kerbs dropped.

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
Prior to Chesterfield being divided into parking zones with charges for parking in each zone being introduced, residents could park freely anywhere in the town provided they didn't breech yellow line restrictions.

Charging for what was previously free isn't 'preferential'.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »
Am I right in saying that regular visitors to chesterfield can buy a cheaper rate parking ticker for the car parking?
If so and it is reasonable why not buy one?
This would probably cut down the need for people to look for free parking spaces
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »
>> Charging for what was previously free isn't 'preferential'.

I live on a street near the town centre and so many people used to park there that I would often have to park on another street, especially when there was a footie match.

So when they introduced residents parking at £7 a year I thought that was the bargain of the year. :)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 07:21:50 PM »
I suppose when you have had the inconvenience of not being able to park in front of your own home the yearly £7.00 is welcome.
It's an elderly relative who goes into town each week that has told me he pays for a yearly ticket to park and he was more than happy with the price.
We used to live near a Betting shop and had the same problems as you did Pete, it's very annoying when you have to unload a weeks shopping!!

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 06:35:05 AM »
>> Charging for what was previously free isn't 'preferential'.

I live on a street near the town centre and so many people used to park there that I would often have to park on another street, especially when there was a footie match.

So when they introduced residents parking at £7 a year I thought that was the bargain of the year. :)

I live near the college where students used to park half on the pavement both sides of the road, on bends, at junctions - everywhere, five days a week.

What do we now have? No daytime week day parking for anyone (residents included) outside 70 or so houses so it looks like a ghost town. Current resident parking charges are way above £7:

Residents permit - £35.00 per annum for the first permit
    Additional residents permits - £50.00 per annum per permit (no limit)
    Annual visitor permit - £13.00 per annum (limited to 1 per property). This is a flexible permit for any visitor to your property, therefore it does not need to registered to a particular vehicle.
    Visitor day permit - £3.00 per day (scratch cards - minimum purchase of 5 (£15.00), with a maximum of 25 per annum per property)
    Business permit - £70.00 per annum (limited to 1 per business within the Zone)
    Registered charities are eligible to apply for 2 free permits per annum
    Disabled residents may be eligible for a free residents permit, subject to a mobility assessment by Derbyshire social services. Telephone 01629 537876 for an assessment

The only place my neighbours and I can park free is a stretch of Canal Wharf where vehicles have been vandalised - jumped on, lights and mirrors smashed, doors kicked.

We have to share our paid-for residents parking with public parking (up to 2 hours)  so if we go out during the day, we lose our space to students who come and go depending on the timing of their courses - there is no dedicated 'residents parking only' even though we pay £35 for this 'preferential' treatment.

I believe however, that thanks to the Cameron government <spit> residents are to be given the right of appeal against parking schemes that don't best serve them. As soon as that becomes law I'll be asking my 70 or so neighbours how they feel about the present scheme.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 08:12:17 AM »
Yep, that's what charges I have to pay.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »
Pete I thought yours was £7.00 a year? Sorry I Must have read it wrong.

I have to agree with you Dave, it's a bit of a devil if people can't park in front of their own homes just because it's in a town/college it should be made free for residents and parking fines for others but it costs money for a warden?
Why should a person be penalised for where they live because that's what it is isn't it.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 09:51:48 AM »
Presume on some of the older terraced streets (how come there's never a street full of cars in Corrie?) there is no room for more than one car per house to park on the street. At around £1K for a dropped (and that's if you have room to park of the road) crossing the scheme doesn't sound bad value

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »
If it's only £7 then I might welcome it where I am - Sheffield Road end of Stand Road. There's plenty of parking on Sheff Rd itself and a free, all-day car park opposite me, but people still park outside the houses there.

My only reservations are 1) that, elsewhere, bits of road near junctions such as mine have this "permit holder or one hour" type of sign over them, thus allowing Joe Public to park, and 2) the scheme doesn't apply on Sundays, when the kids' football on the park brings in far more cars than the car park can cope with and I end up having to hump heavy bags of shopping some distance to my house.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
As I said, £7 was brilliant, £14 for me and my wife's cars - but when they increased the fee to £85 I thought it outrageous - essentially a 600% increase!

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
£85? They can do one. They might as well put a parking meter outside your house, and have done with it.

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
'Nobody owns the piece of road in front of their house. '
Slacker!!!!!! as a Council Officer and a Councilor please read the law.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »
The only thing I know about that mycul was the first house we bought was on an un-adopted road.
We were told back then that we could all chip in and pay top have it done as the road in front of the houses was ours?
That was in the 70's

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk