Author Topic: Survey on Chesterfield's Market Hall toilets  (Read 3831 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Survey on Chesterfield's Market Hall toilets
« on: July 29, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
I have received the survey to fill in below  >:

Having filled it along with my own opinions I have also added a link to the discussion on here -

BTW - the Changing Places Symbol is still up on the Market Hall and as far as I am aware there are no hoists in these toilets.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/have_your_say/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:00:20 PM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Survey on Chesterfield's Market Hall toilets
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:12 PM »
 MD QUESTION
Is there any reason a non member wouldn't be able to get into the site?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »
I have now had a reply from the survey I filled in.
My response back is :

I have seen the sign over this door.
However having looked on two occasions I couldn't find a key hole for the special Radar Key we have to use.
There was also boxes etc stacked in front of the door.
I seem to remember Slacker remarking on this as well.

I will have to take another look to see if the toilets are in operation

Thank you for taking the time to complete the Changing Places survey on Derbyshire County Council’s website.  As author of the survey I have just received an interim report on its progress and I picked up on your comments in relation to Changing Places in Chesterfield.

Unfortunately I can’t get onto the forum discussion you mention using this link www.chesterfieldonline.org/index.php/topic.4214.15.html I think that may be because I am not a member of the forum?

I have copied Andy Bond, from Chesterfield Borough Council, in to this e-mail, as he manages the Chesterfield Market Hall – I hope that is ok.

You’ve asked that Chesterfield Borough Council look into what they deem to be Changing Places because there are some in Chesterfield that your daughter can’t access.  If you can give me more specific information about where these facilities are I can help to find the appropriate person for you to discuss this with if the toilets are in Council owned buildings.  In terms of Changing Places provision I am only aware of three facilities in Chesterfield that are open to the public – one at the Market Hall, one at Chesterfield Football Club, and one at Queens Park Sports Centre, so I’m wondering if the other facilities you refer to are standard accessible toilets rather than Changing Places toilets?

Standard accessible toilets should be a minimum of 1.5m x 2.2m in size, to enable independent access, but they wouldn’t have adult sized changing facilities in them, although you may find a baby change unit in some facilities.  As you mention heavy doors and tight corridors I think you might be referring to the indoor standard accessible toilet in the Market Hall, near to the café?  If so, Andy will be able to give you more information about that facility.

In terms of the Changing Places at the Market Hall in Chesterfield, this is located on the outside of the building, on the Low Pavement elevation.  I have attached a flyer for this facility for your information – I hope this helps.  You mentioned that there was no adult sized changing bench or hoist in there when you last visited – but I’m thinking that this might not be the facility that you went in to?  I’m hoping that Andy will confirm to us that everything is in place at the facility as per the information in the attached flyer, and that hopefully nothing has changed in terms of provision since I last visited to produce the flyer?  I would suggest that it might be a good idea for Chesterfield Borough Council to signpost the Changing Places facility from the other indoor toilets at the Market Hall so that people can easily find the Changing Places.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
If the non member was at a work computer it might block the forum. I believe Gerty could never get on the forum at work.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »
As it was a reply from the person doing the survey she probably was at work.

Daughters going into town on Friday so will delegate her to check them out again.  ;)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »
Emails have been bouncing this last couple of days and we now have some light shed on this.

Email  1   from the person conducting the survey

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have copied Andy in again because I’m afraid I can’t assist with those particular issues as I work for the County Council rather than the Borough Council.

I believe that the Changing Places at the Market Hall is not locked on a RADAR lock, rather, it is locked with a specific key, which I understand regular users of the facility can purchase from Chesterfield Borough Council for £5 – Andy should be able to assist you further with this.  It might have been that you tried to visit the Changing Places before it was officially opened, which wasn’t until some time after the official opening of the actual Market Hall due, I believe, to some issues in relation to equipping the Changing Places fully and getting the lock sorted out.

I think your point about things being stacked in front of the door is an important one – I have walked past before and noted that sometimes the traders are very close to the door and it may be that they are stacking things in front of it – hopefully Andy can look into this and remind traders that the route to the Changing Places needs to be kept clear at all times.

If there is anything else I can help you with in terms of Changing Places generally, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Email 2 from Andy ( CBC ) who manages the Market Hall

We have a number of people now registered with us and making use of the Changing Places facility so from our perspective it is going well, we have in the last 2 to 3 weeks put a shoulder high sign on the wall next to the Changing Places door (there had been one stuck on the door but it got ripped off). This sign informs any potential users how to access the facility, and who the contacts are. Keys are £3 and readily available to purchase once registered.

With regards to the Traders I will keep an eye on them but have hardly seen any issues to be fair.

Pam, if you wish to make contact with me direct we can arrange a key and get you registered.

Email 3 from Andy

Please do call for a key, the new facility is in the same external location as the old disabled toilets, however a much improved facility. Your daughter does not need to be with you so it might be worth getting the key in advance. Please share this information with any other contacts you may have who also might like to make use of this.

So folks all is now made clear : the changing room toilets were not opened along with the Market Hall ( can't remember seeing this made clear ) which is why I had my well founded gripes.

I have delegated daughter to check out the outside today as she's in town with a support worker.
Once we have a key we can check it out and hopefully it will make life easier for a visit to the 'rest room'  ;)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »
Very informative. Cheers OC  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Survey on Chesterfield's Market Hall toilets - Inside the changing room
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
I have now purchased a key for the 'changing rooms toilets'
It was pretty easy actually, I called the given number and spoke to someone who then came and met me outside the Market Hall with the 'master key' for the toilet door. We went to the key cutting shop on the outside of the M/H, where I paid £4.00 for the key which was cut.
Done!

Inside the Changing room toilets - well I actually found the door a bit heavy to push open and had to turn and lock it once inside.
There was a large changing bed with tracking ceiling hoist above it. The bed had no rail to pull up to keep the person on the bed safe which was disappointing.

The wash basin was quite high but I got the impression it could maybe be lowered with the lever at the side - couldn't budge it though, so maybe it's not actually working yet?

On the wall there was a rack with 3 or 4 boxes of gloves, which I thought was very thoughtful and trusting.

The changing room was maybe one of the smaller ones around but definitely better than the indoor ones in the M/H.

I would add though that I think they would maybe be more suitable for wheelchair user AND support worker but as they are a changing room that's to be expected.

I took some photographs and will post them over the weekend.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »
Well that sounds like a slightly positive post  ;)
At least that issue is being dealt with in Chesterfield  :-X

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 10:13:51 AM »
Bed and Ceiling Track Hoist

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
The wash basin 'looks' as if it can be mobilized but we couldn't do anything with it and TBH didn't like to put any pressure onto it incase we damaged it - but i will check this out with someone.

No Comment about the name of the gloves!!
 I have a couple of boxes at home and think the name is in poor taste TBH but they were cheap enough to buy.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:19:05 AM by Old Cruser »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:32:14 AM »
No Comment about the name of the gloves!!

:-X ::) :))

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »
:-X ::) :))

I knowww TBH Fly I nearly didn't buy them just because of the name.
Daft I know, but it seems wrong.
Bit of a prude deep down I guess  ::)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »
Just a quick revamp of this thread.
I have received an invitation to join a group set up by the survey people, which I originally began the thread about - re the market hall toilets.
I have joined the group as although practically retired now ( not yet quite official ) but I still have daughter who would also be a good asset to this group as she has a wealth of experience in her campaigning around Chesterfield.
Good result  (y)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk