Author Topic: Charities - gone over to the dark side?  (Read 2119 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Charities - gone over to the dark side?
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »
Just had a phone call (first on a Saturday) asking my missus if she wants to donate every month. She used to donate but suddenly she got loads of different charities ringing her up and also sending her leaflets, so she stopped dealing with them. Now it seems they want their revenge.

I've been on the sharp end since I started working from home and I'm afraid I give them short shrift...

Is there no decency left?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Charities - gone over to the dark side?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
I know charities are generally speaking for the greater good.
However I detest Chuggers, and I detest them (charities) calling you at home - as much as I detest any unsolicited phone call-specially as I'm ex -directory.
They seem to be able to fill our TV viewing with adverts, fill our high streets with shops,and the detestable Chuggers as well.
It begs the question how much of your donation actually helps the needy before its stripped off for other things, i.e. wages for call centre staff, chuggers etc. I applaud the volunteers who do charity stuff - they are the true diamonds to their individual causes, and they do it for a reason close to their hearts.
However "aggresive" charity selling is as obnoxious as any other sales call.
If i want to give, I will do, my choice though - and a phone call, or an approach from a muppet in the street who approaches you like your a long lost friend will not work for me.
What worries me more than most is that some people are more gullible than others, and these aggresive sellers are more than likely signing people up for donations that they can ill afford.
Aggresive selling is wrong in my book full stop. It's as bad as Jehovas witnesses calling at your house.
I do not give them my time of day because they don't deserve it.
We have just mate a substantial donation to British Heart Foundation from my Mums funeral because it was heart problems that caused her death - my choice for an understandable reason.

Rant over >:(
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »
Well said, buy the man a drink.

Oops, forgot, were all inclusive. I'll nip and fetch myself another and think of you :-)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »

Oops, forgot, were all inclusive. I'll nip and fetch myself another and think of you :-)
Cheers!!
I'll sup some at home & catch you at the rank with the bill when you get back HaHa.
Have a brill holiday :) :)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:40:13 PM »
Just had a phone call (first on a Saturday) asking my missus if she wants to donate every month. She used to donate but suddenly she got loads of different charities ringing her up and also sending her leaflets, so she stopped dealing with them. Now it seems they want their revenge.

I've been on the sharp end since I started working from home and I'm afraid I give them short shrift...

Is there no decency left?
Quite frankly - no :(

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:01:03 PM »

Get yourself on Shambala. (And I want photos for proof.)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »
It's good to 'give' to charities if we can afford a little but most of us can only afford to support one charity (well we can) so we support local which is the ST Bernards at Whittington on a more regular basis the others we will pop the odd pound into collection boxes during the year. Instead of wasting their money phoning round they could always put it into their charity - couldn't they?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk