Author Topic: Council to spend £2.5m on Queen’s Park Sports Centre  (Read 12529 times)

simondjuk

• View Profile
Re: Council to spend £2.5m on Queen’s Park Sports Centre
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
I drove past there last week and couldnt believe the array of Solar Panels on the roof.  I hope the roof is supported somehow, theres a lot of weight there.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

k4blades

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »
True but they are invariably motivated by profit which means the decisions are not necessarily in the best interests of the people.
If you made local authority decisions on those lines you'd close the Pomegranate. The Winding Wheel, both sports centres, The Museum and probably Hasland Village Hall.

Is that how Sainsburys runs its business, lets screw the customers for all we can so the shareholders will get more profit?
A good business knows that not only to survive, but to grow and develop in the long term, it needs to look after its customers.
The idea that public bodies should not worry about profit is nonsense, you are implying that its OK to run at a loss, and that is exactly why this country, (much of the world) is in the mess its in, because its been living beyond it means, hoping that some mug, (taxpayer) will always pick up the tab, or they can turn to debt.

If the facilities you mention are NOT making a profit, then why would you expect the taxpayer to fund something that they don't want to use.
Except that maybe they do want to use them if better ran.
The theater business is booming at the moment, I know lots of people who often, at high cost, jump on a coach to London for a theatre break. We went to Manchester a couple of months back to see Oliver and spent about £200 for the day. So how come a theater around the corner can't make money?
Last year we went to the Natural History Museum in London. Free to get in and the place was rammed, with massive queues to get inside. Once inside there was all sorts of ways the place were making money: kids packed lunches / explorer packs / one off exhibitions, sponsorships / kids parties / over night stays / expensive coffee place, etc. When did Chesterfield Museum last have a queue waiting to get in.
And as for the pools, I live just round the corner from Staveley's Healthy Living Center, a perfect example of a swimming pool designed by committee, rather than asking the public what they want. When we go swimming we go to Queens Park because its much better suited to small kids.....except last year we went to Ponds Forge and again massive queue, took us an hour to get in and cost £12.00, at the same time there was a special offer on at the HLC, a pound to get in the pool....clearly being under used.
So maybe the problem isn't that the facilities aren't wanted, maybe they just aren't wanted in their current form, which suggests being badly managed, and not caring because they know Mr Taxpayer will be along to pick up the tab.

Then there are countless other ways councils can make money, many are now fitting Pvs on roofs to claim back FIT payments, I've heard about councils becoming utility providers, wrap around care at primary schools, sponsored gardens, lots and lots of different things if the attitude is right, and profit not disregarded.

And by doing all this sort of stuff, it then means the council can afford to spend money on things that they can't profit from such as social care, the elderly, etc. I've never felt that any public body should spend money on an attraction that no-one uses at the expense of the sick and infirm, but if you think that's a good idea, well that's your choice, but I know where I want my taxes spent. And if loss making facilities can become profit making facilities to help fund the needy I would see it as a good thing, not bad....but then my views are based on sound economics and not any political dogma.

k4blades

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
And I didn't even mention car-parks.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
It's not political dogma to subsidise things so people who can't afford a trip to London can go to see a show can go and see something at the local theatre that may only appeal to a small audience.
If profit was the only aim then there wouldn't even be any parks. A small percentage of theatre goers in London amounts to many times a small percentage of Chesterfield theatre goers so they obviously can cater for wide tastes an run at a profit. You wouldn't put a McDonalds in an isolated village and expect it to do massive trade would you?

The council, along with neighbouring ones, was all set to go ahead with rented roof space for solar panels but I believe there was a stumbling block with changes to feed in tariffs leading to a bit of delay.

If you want consultation or to voice an opinion go along to your local Community Forum meeting.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:09 PM »
Natural History Museum? You mean the one that gets £7m a year in government subsidy?

London theatres? Like the National? Built at a cost to the taxpayer of £20m and receives 40% of its income from the taxpayer?

Total tax bill on the Arts
Around £300m a year

Don't make the mistake of thinking they make a profit.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

k4blades

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 07:50:36 AM »
And in those 2 responses we see the real problem its not about specifics, its about attitude. If all you ever do is come out with excuses why things can't be done, nothing will change. Adopt a "can-do" attitude and anythings possible.
OK, The Pomegranite will never be the London Paladium, but it could do more to attract bigger audiences. Saying Chesterfield is just a "small village" is a cop out, people are willing to travel to London / Manchester, why wouldn't people travel to Chesterfield, within half an hours drive we have Sheffield / Nottingham / Derby. Many times on this forum, members have said that they have seen this band or that show, people want to go out and be entertained.
And as I said, we have traveled to Sheffield to go swimming when there's a pool on my doorstep.
I have nothing against subsidising anything if its what the public wants, that's democracy. But if a venue can't attract an audience then clearly its not what the public wants, so change whats happening at the venue.

The bottom line is this:
Limited funds are available.
I would prefer to spend those funds on things like social care / elderly and ask other facilities to become less dependant on the taxpayer.
You seem to suggest that you are happy to spend taxes subsidising these facilities which need subsidising because the public don't use them enough, at the expense of more needy issues. That's fine as long as you are happy to stick to that view come election day, Slacker!
And as for me taking part in consultations, etc, forget it. While ever we have the current political system that only allows success for the mighty parties with their massive funding and party machines, we have no real democracy, and as we have seen time and time again, they just do what they want, irrespective of what anyone else wants. Otherwise we wouldn't be at war, we would probably be out of Europe, and would have much tighter immigration control...what we don't have is representative for the common man!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:51:27 AM by k4blades »

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »
The Pomegranate has 546 seats
The Sheffield Lycuem (in example) has 1068
The City Hall has over 2000

How much would the Pomegranate have to charge per ticket to attract the same class of act / show? Double? Treble?

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »
It's unreasonable for a town of our size not to have such facilities. If it was all run purely for profit it would be sad day indeed.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

k4blades

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
The Pomegranate has 546 seats
The Sheffield Lycuem (in example) has 1068
The City Hall has over 2000

How much would the Pomegranate have to charge per ticket to attract the same class of act / show? Double? Treble?

You and Slacker are giving contradictory arguments. On one hand you are are saying that the theater is too small to put on a big show, and on the other hand, he is saying that the local audience is too small to fill the theater??????
The point is, if the show is entertaining enough, local people will pay to go and see it. Chesterfield FC haven't got the same size ground as Man Utd, but this years gates are bigger than last year because they are playing in a higher league, hence perceived to be putting on a better show against bigger teams, the ground would be sold out every week if they were in the premier league, and empty if they were in the blue square. Its not the size of the venue, its the quality of the entertainment that matters.
Its bloody hard work coming on this forum sometimes.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
Pete and Slacker, me, and everybody else on this forum have their own opinions.
The Admin team also have their own opinions.
 :)

The admin team may not agree with lots, but stay impartial.
 ;)

Edit: Pete and Slacker don't share opinions. They have their own.
Its bloody hard work coming on this forum sometimes.
Yes it might be. Your not talking to 1 person.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:56:30 PM by Fly »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »
And in those 2 responses we see the real problem its not about specifics, its about attitude. If all you ever do is come out with excuses why things can't be done, nothing will change. Adopt a "can-do" attitude and anythings possible.
OK, The Pomegranite will never be the London Paladium, but it could do more to attract bigger audiences. Saying Chesterfield is just a "small village" is a cop out, people are willing to travel to London / Manchester, why wouldn't people travel to Chesterfield, within half an hours drive we have Sheffield / Nottingham / Derby. Many times on this forum, members have said that they have seen this band or that show, people want to go out and be entertained.
And as I said, we have traveled to Sheffield to go swimming when there's a pool on my doorstep.
I have nothing against subsidising anything if its what the public wants, that's democracy. But if a venue can't attract an audience then clearly its not what the public wants, so change whats happening at the venue.

The bottom line is this:
Limited funds are available.
I would prefer to spend those funds on things like social care / elderly and ask other facilities to become less dependant on the taxpayer.
You seem to suggest that you are happy to spend taxes subsidising these facilities which need subsidising because the public don't use them enough, at the expense of more needy issues. That's fine as long as you are happy to stick to that view come election day, Slacker!
And as for me taking part in consultations, etc, forget it. While ever we have the current political system that only allows success for the mighty parties with their massive funding and party machines, we have no real democracy, and as we have seen time and time again, they just do what they want, irrespective of what anyone else wants. Otherwise we wouldn't be at war, we would probably be out of Europe, and would have much tighter immigration control...what we don't have is representative for the common man!

I am happy that certain things are subsidised by the tax payer.

Why should children that have the misfortune of being born in less well off families be deprived of leisure and entertainment?

I don't begrudge people who have earned themselves good salaries having nice houses, cars, holidays etc but the disadvantaged shouldn't be left with nothing.

This is why I have attended meetings opposing the Youth Service cuts. They were an easy target for DCC not being mandatory provision.

In my ward we listen to the opinions of people involved in community forum, estates committees, Friends of Eastwood park etc. They may not represent everyone in the area but they are open to anyone who wants to influence local decision making.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
Why wouldn't we use contradictory arguments, we very rarely agree on anything!!

the quality of the entertainment may matter but so will the price.
If a ticket to the arena (6000 seats) is £40 then to attract the same act to the Pomegranate or the Winding wheel the ticket price would be in 3 figures and chances are the first figure wouldn't be a 1.
So are you going to get in your car, use the petrol, pay the parking fee buy the ticket and still be in pocket?
Or are you going to support your local theatre so it can make a profit?

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
If we all agreed on everything there would be no point to being on a discussion forum.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
Arena last Saturday (Il Divo) , Winding Wheel this one (Smokie), quite happy with both but wouldn't have worked the other way round

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk