Author Topic: Euro 2021 England v Italy  (Read 1092 times)

hifimad

• View Profile
Euro 2021 England v Italy
« on: July 12, 2021, 01:10:06 AM »
For as i long as i can remember i have hated football with a passion, i remeber as a youngster as being about as interested in football as going to the dentist or having my tonsills out, i remember being forced to play this uterlly dreadfull game at school and totally screwing it up.
However i must express my deep and abiding dissapointment at Englands loss to Italy tonight, this is no Damacine realisation by myself that i have been wrong all of my life but a realisation that i must go on listening to the Newspapers and TV going on about 1966 it was my fervent hope that England won so everybody would shut the hell up about 1966 and we could have another so called glory to bang on about for the next 55 years, alas it was not to be so back to 1966 it is then.

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: Euro 2021 England v Italy
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 07:13:47 AM »
So, it's good to know that I'm not the only one in the world that doesn't like football!

I have found it strange though, that, according to the various news sites, absolutely nothing newsworthy has happened whilst the football has been on! 🙄

At least now I/we can crawl out from under my/our stone until the next tournament! 😂
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »
Me too!!

I have never hidden the fact that I don't like football, although {apart from a few friends and immediate family} I have never shouted it from the rooftops for the obvious reason that if you tell a football fan you don't like "The beautiful game" they think your a weirdo.
I, like hifimad, had football rammed down my throat at school, which didn't help it's cause but the thing that gets me is with football fans is they are such sore losers, worse than that is they don't believe they are!. They then immediately look for someone else to blame, I can't for the life of me think of another {English} sport where the fans are so "immature" when supporting their particular sport.
Looking on breakfast news this morning about the match {what else is going on??} the racial slurs have already started against some of the team, if England had won last night these same players would have been held up as gods.

I saw on the news the other night about a bloke who had 4 tickets for the final and someone offered him 8 grand for them and he turned the offer down, this is what I'm talking about if that was me I would have had a ringside seat in front of the telly in my own home and be 8 grand better off.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
I think at our age, it was common to have football rammed down our throats at school as the only sport. I used to hope against hope that I wasn't picked (as I never knew what to do with the ball if/when I got it!) and then I could go on the cross country course (and have a fag when out of sight of the school gates!).

I see on the news that several police officers were injured in scuffles/fights after the match, I'm not in the least surprised, but still can't for the life of me think why they feel the need to fight.

And fathom this - supporters wanted Boris to give us an extra bank holiday if England won............. now they want Boris to give us an extra bank holiday to cheer us up because they lost!! Must remember that for next year's snooker world Cup at the Crucible (snooker is the only sport I follow)!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:35:23 AM by Alsatian »
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 10:51:10 AM »
I'm on a roll here! My wife isn't a footie fan, but did watch the England matches, so I did catch the odd moments. 😴

I noticed that every time Jordan Pickford saved a goal, he shouted at several members of the England side! Surely stopping the opponents scoring is 99% of a goalies job?😕

That's a bit like a taxi driver shouting every time he picks a fare up! 🤪

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 11:14:40 AM »
My experience of school football revolved around the teacher telling me justifiably i was useless on the field of play and so as a result i ended up in goal where i proved myself to be even worse, i watched with disinterest as the oposing team were charging towards my position and kicked the ball past me as i just stood and watched, the teacher came marching up demanding what was that and i informed him that as these people had taken such trouble to get the ball into the net who was i to spoil it he went beserk and sent me back to the changing rooms for the rest of a double lesson as a punishment, it was no punishment as i was halfway through a gimlet book which was in my satchell and thus enjoyed immensely my early afternoon PE lesson.

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
Me too!!

I have never hidden the fact that I don't like football, although {apart from a few friends and immediate family} I have never shouted it from the rooftops for the obvious reason that if you tell a football fan you don't like "The beautiful game" they think your a weirdo.

Sorasto i suggest you think like me and think stuff em, as far as i can see football seems to be more about tribalism than any geniuine love of the game, what would happen in tennis if Roger federer fans started a mini riot at wimbledon in an atempt to attack and beat up Andy Murray fans. i can see it now all the wimbledon ladies in their best Sunday hats pelting each other with bowls of strawberrys and cream and trying to batter each other  to death with brollies.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 06:58:30 PM »
I'm sorry, but I just had to post this:

A news reporter has just called the England players! What a load of b0110cks!

They are youngsters doing a job that they are grossly overpaid for.

A hero, for example, is a member of the armed forces who has either been badly injured or has given his life for a cause. Or someone who has placed their life in peril, in order to save someone else.

I feel better now I've got that off my chest.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 08:02:23 PM »
As you've mentioned tennis hifimad {the only sport I do watch} at least it's basically for just a few weeks a year, football seems to be yearlong nowadays.

One thing that gets my goat, especially in tennis, is watching the "royal box" filling up with celebs and D list royalty none of whom I suspect sent off or queued up for a ticket.
The Duke of Kent has bowed out of being president of the all England Tennis club after 50 odd years to be replaced by Will's missus, not exactly hard work 2 days a year, my wife said " who's looking after her 3 kids while she's there EXACTLY!. 

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 08:22:01 PM »
I'm sorry, but I just had to post this:

A news reporter has just called the England players heroes! What a load of b0110cks!

They are youngsters doing a job that they are grossly overpaid for.

A hero, for example, is a member of the armed forces who has either been badly injured or has given his life for a cause. Or someone who has placed their life in peril, in order to save someone else.

I feel better now I've got that off my chest.

Right, I've corrected my original post and inserted the word 'heroes' in line 2 - it now makes sense.

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »
Firstly i was watching newsnight last night and the opening section was about the abuse the young black players had received, and it took less than five minutes before once again banging on about 1966 complete with black and white film footage, there are no limits to the excuses the media will find however many years apart to bang on about 1966. from what i have seen on the TV it is doubtfull that the majority of England supporters were even born on or before 1966.

Alsation i take your point about the abuse of the term heroes and have even taken issue with its use myself, as a few examples "boy band heroes" "guitar heroes" and even "tennis heroes" you even have that self important tw@ Paul McCartney who every time he is seen in public holds up the V for victory sign as if he is some kind of hero rathe than an ex member of an overated 1960s boy band, however when one considers the abuse black players of all sports have taken over the years i submit that these sportsmen could possibly claim to be heroes because they know they are putting themselves up for extreme derision and abuse.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 09:26:34 AM »
Having two younger brothers plus a grandfather and dad who loved football and indeed my dad managed the boys team in our village back then, mum washed all the kit in her twin tub and granddad was secretary to the club I guess I was brainwashed a little.
In my teens I would put plastic bags inside my boots during cold weather and support the local team.
These days I don't bother with it at all but did semi watch it with hubby on Sunday.
It's good for the children to have a sport and in our village we have the Ivanoes who are a thriving group of boys and girls teams - it's better than sitting at a computer!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »
When i was a kid i would sooner bury my head in a book than play any kind of sport and i was always told that i should be outside playing at some sport or other, i suppose that that was the 1960s equivellant of what you said about sitting in front of a computer Old Cruiser nothing really changes does it. ;)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »
When i was a kid i would sooner bury my head in a book than play any kind of sport and i was always told that i should be outside playing at some sport or other, i suppose that that was the 1960s equivellant of what you said about sitting in front of a computer Old Cruiser nothing really changes does it. ;)

I think books are a better past time than playing games on computers as many children seem to do these days hifimad
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk