Author Topic: Chesterfield.. booming town or doss hole!  (Read 5889 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Chesterfield.. booming town or doss hole!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2022, 08:40:19 PM »
According to what appears in the D.T. it looks like the town centre will eventually end up being just up market flats and yuppy bars and the businesses of Chesterfield will end up on the periphery.

Every time someone mentions a large empty building in town there's talk of flats.

This weeks D.T. page 18....... "BURLINGTON HOUSE WILL BE CONVERTED INTO FLATS ABOVE EXISTING BUSINESSES"

I did read somewhere where people either trying to buy,or insure {or both} flats above business premises find it's not that easy as it's simply because they ARE above businesses. 
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2022, 12:02:29 AM »
S'pose we'll find out if the places are insurable, after they have been done.

Saw something on Facebook about this project. Someone mentioned parking for said development.
Someone replied, can't they use the underground parking where the pet shop was  :))

Macey's?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2022, 01:22:32 PM »
Just as an add on to this post.........

had occasion to visit a friend of mine in Brampton this morning and drop the wife off in town, got as far as Penmore in Hasland and the traffic was choc a bloc.
Seems the council in it's infinite wisdom picked Saturday {of all days} to close off the bypass from Temple Normanton down to Horns bridge.
Needless to say I did a u turn and went back home.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2022, 08:21:55 PM »
Just as an add on to this post.........

had occasion to visit a friend of mine in Brampton this morning and drop the wife off in town, got as far as Penmore in Hasland and the traffic was choc a bloc.
Seems the council in it's infinite wisdom picked Saturday {of all days} to close off the bypass from Temple Normanton down to Horns bridge.
Needless to say I did a u turn and went back home.

This information was in fact in this weeks D.T. but no doubt it still wouldn't have stopped the mayhem.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 09:09:07 AM »
There appears to be a rumour that Clay Cross is planning to re open it's railway station to encourage more people to visit, if this does happen it looks like yet another nail in Chesterfields coffin.

Was in town the other day only to find Bowrings butchers on Glumangate has closed and I believe the R.B.S. on Stephenson place is now no more.

It comes to something when potentially a small "pit village" could end up outdoing one of the major towns in Derbyshire for visitors and footfall in general. I think Chesterfield council should take a long hard look at what's happening there.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2022, 12:28:17 PM »
Went to town yesterday, yes I know it sounds like I go a lot to a place I don't like but it's only because my bank is there, believe me if they opened a branch in C/Cross {or anywhere else near me for that matter} I wouldn't go to town at all.

Noticed they've opened a new Subway on low pavement whilst the other one near Dents still seems to be trading.
The market was "bustling" with all of 6 stalls in use, so much so the traders spread their wares over several tables mainly because they can.

We went by bus to Derby the other day for a few hours {Wed} hour there hour back. Got off the bus there and immediately bumped into a relation of mine,what's the chances eh! Had a nice cuppa in the Eagle market, it seemed like "half day" as a few stalls were closed but it was still busier than Chesterfield markets "busier" days, but I noticed on the way out there was a petition for people to sign as it seems someone is wanting to close it so that could account for some of the closed shops in there. had a good walk round the Cathedral quarter and looked round the Cathedral itself. Still plenty of shops and very busy, then there's the Eagle centre or it might be called Westfield now but that's like a Meadowhall but cleaner.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2022, 06:48:12 PM »
Barclays bank Rose hill............Permanently closed.

Yep the ship is sinking {albeit slowly} and rats are sloping off one by one but Chesterfield is very much on the decline, and no one will convince me otherwise. If it wasn't for the fact the Crooked Spire is there it would soon be a virtual ghost town.

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 08:05:20 AM »
The new building on the Donut isn't full yet....would have thought it would have been filled with takers in the planning stages..

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2022, 12:55:37 PM »
Went in that new discount shop a couple of months ago {the one that opened in Dents the chemist's old shop} can't remember the name of it but it doesn't seem to matter now as the wife has just returned from town today and told me it's closed down.

Just noticed a new shop opened on low pavement, some sort of jewellers shop next to the new Subway shop, just how many jewellers shops do we need in town, if there's anything that's a luxury nowadays it's jewellery.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2022, 02:56:01 PM »
Has anybody come back from shopping, especially in town, and thought "I've been overcharged for a particular item or items".....I have.

I may seem trivial and insignificant and probably only a few pence at a time, but none the less. Actually I don't really mind being overcharged for something so long as I am made aware of the price beforehand and therefore I can make a conscious decision whether to buy it or not.

I actually bought an item off a stall during the pandemic months and when I had already put it in my bag along with other items it turns out, when I queried the lack of change, I had been charged £2:50 for that one item and I could have got the same item from Tesco for about a pound. The last time I used that stall, a few weeks ago, I bought one item on sale at £1:30 per pound, it was weighed and I was charged £1:40, so when I got home I got my {accurate} kitchen scales out and weighed it......it was just under 14 ounces.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 03:18:18 PM »
Methinks a case for Trading Standards.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2022, 08:40:23 PM »
Went in that new discount shop a couple of months ago {the one that opened in Dents the chemist's old shop} can't remember the name of it but it doesn't seem to matter now as the wife has just returned from town today and told me it's closed down.

Correction:- the shop is open..........my wife needs to go to Specsavers.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2022, 12:24:16 PM »
Not so much overcharged as wrongly priced.

Went to Tesco's in C/C the other day, we needed some eggs as I do like my eggs so buy a dozen at a time. Looked along the shelves there were at least 6 different boxes of eggs but they were not priced properly {I only saw 3 price tags along the shelf. I picked a box of a dozen above the price about £1:85 or so and when we got home and the wife checked the receipt we had been charged £3:20 for them, and it's not the first time either. A couple of weeks ago we went there and just in the entrance were bottles of Bells whiskey priced at £18 so I got one, when we reached the bottom of the store near the soft drinks there was a similar bin with the same bottle for £17.
I called over a member of staff who was picking and asked her to check the price, she scanned it and said £17 so I told her about the wrongly priced bin on the entrance and she said she would sort it right away, when we left 20 minutes later no one had been anywhere near.

Yesterday we shopped at Aldi!!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2022, 12:58:17 PM »
Coming back from Asda Forest Town yesterday, down from Heath and there's a brand new electronic sign been put up on the bypass and it tells you that, at that moment, there are 253 parking spaces available in Chesterfield......I'm not surprised!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2022, 05:42:50 PM »
Came down Derby Rd in town about 4.30pm. The sign opposite McD's said there were 718!!

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk