General Category > General Discussion

Sarah Everard Vigil

(1/2) > >>

Alsatian:
So the police have warned people wanting to attend that, despite them taking all Covid protection (eg masks, safe distancing etc), they will be acting illegally and will be dealt with accordingly.

That's fine (but not to say I agree with the threat of action) BUT how can they square that against the number of traveller funerals, where hundreds of them have attended (despite a limit of 30 allowed to attend)  and absolutely no regard for protective measures, and all the police did was to make sure it went off peacefully?

It smacks of 'one rule for one, and one for another' to me.

Old Cruser:
They have called the Vigil off

Sorastro:
At the risk of sounding callous......

I really don't see what good is to be gained by "vigils". Same with making shrines out of accident black spots, it's just a place where something "nasty" happened, obviously to someone they knew, and holds no particular significance other than that's where your loved one/relative/ friend... breathed their last, re visiting those spots {sometimes annually} in some cases is of no benefit to anyone.
I drive along the highways and byways and see these bunches of flowers, scarves, football jerseys and/or photographs of the deceased usually pinned to trees and I just ask myself "Why!!!"
 Surely making an annual donation to a charity in the deceased persons name will be of more benefit, to everyone.

Alsatian:
I don't think that's callous at all, and tend to agree with you.

In fact, by leaving mascots/flowers etc by the roadside they're, to my mind, encouraging dri ers to take their eyes off the road.

My point in my original post was simply the fact that the police are making 'chalk & cheese' out of what are similar 'events'.

Sorastro:
From what I saw on the news last night was quite simply..

SOD COVID.....SOD THE POLICE.... were having a vigil.
 I don't care how many were there or who they were, the lot should have been arrested and locked up. Quite obviously the police had their "Dixon of Dock green" hats on "Move along there" thinking that would be enough, but they grossly underestimated the rank stupidity of these people and were ill prepared for the turnout.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version