Author Topic: Grassmoor Ariel View  (Read 2539 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Grassmoor Ariel View
« on: April 19, 2015, 01:21:34 PM »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Grassmoor Ariel View
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
Sorry niche I have no idea when it was take as it was given to me and only has Grassmoor on the back.
What I will do is enlarge it more and have a good look at it
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:25:27 PM by Old Cruser »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:06:39 PM »

Coud it be going up Haag Hill into Grassmoor?
See how the road forks off to the left, whist the long stretch of road carries in to what appears to be the main road.
The road which forks off has also joined the main road.
There is then the road opposite this which goes  to Temple Normanton.

To the left of the main road there is what seems to be car parking - could it be the Garage or School?

I've been looking to see if the Boot and Shoe is there, there is a building but not sure ???

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
Grassmoor, I've been trying to pinpoint the year{s} this was taken, I would take a stab at the seventies, possibly early seventies, can't narrow it down any further.

You are correct OC the road from the bottom is indeed Hagg hill from Tupton, the road that forks off left is Birkin lane west and when it reaches the main road {which runs right to left from North Wingfield towards Hasland and Chesterfield} the cars you can see parked on the left on the junction are parked were the old Roxy cinema once stood, these cars are part of the garage to the left of them, the garage "used" to be called Jack South's garage. The building on the right side opposite the cars is the Boot and Shoe {nicknamed the slipper}
The road opposite is Birkin lane which takes you to Temple Normanton. The first "field" to the left of it is Barnes park, the white dot near the trees in the park is the Cenotaph the estate on the opposite side of the park on Birkin lane is locally known as Southend.

The reason I think it's seventies. The smaller field behind the park is now an estate of houses {Durham avenue} these I believe have been up well over thirty years this is accessible of Norfolk avenue {to the left of the park} also the house opposite Norfolk avenue on the main road next door to Grassmoor primary school was built on the site of an old chapel which was demolished in the late sixties and I believe the house was then built between then and the early seventies.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk