Author Topic: The one billion pounds Pennines Tunnel project  (Read 1017 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
The one billion pounds Pennines Tunnel project
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
Their are plans to build a huge tunnel starting from North Sheffield to Manchester that will cut though the Pennines hills, the idea been is to cut travel time from 55 minutes to 30 minutes from central Sheffield to central Manchester the project if it happens will cost over one billion pounds to build. Given that government policy seems to be to encourage people to use public transport IM surprised they are thinking of building this given that government are considering a high speed rail link that will connect Sheffield to Manchester both from central stations that would be faster travel times wise. At present their are five proposed tunnel routes been considered and reports are made on environmental impacts plus the pros and cons of each route. One advantage of the tunnel will be for haulage has it will cut down travel times between the cities. Another personal thought on this could a bus run from Chesterfield to Manchester, going back many years I went to Manchester on the X67 but it was a very drawn out journey but if this tunnel was built the journey time would be reduced given the fact that Chesterfield is classed as a tourist town and Manchester has a international airport their could be an demand for a public transport link that business people and tourists alike might consider using?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: The one billion pounds Pennines Tunnel project
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:14:58 PM »
It would certainly be an enterprise route for the likes of National Express & other coach companies. It would be interesting to see another link to Manchester from Sheffield & Chesterfield by bus as well. Fancy a days shopping in Manchester anyone?
Certainly opens up a new travel adventure until it's closed by an accident which is inevitable!
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »
One for the Taxi airport runs as well.
How much time would it take of the journey?
Any guesses  ?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »
From Chesterfield, by the time you've driven up to, and through Sheffield, to get to a tunnel, you could be halfway to the airport already. I would hazard a guess that it wouldn't knock half hour off that particular journey.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:30:59 PM »
I think the tunnel idea is to reduce travel time from central Sheffield to central Manchester. Another idea been put forward is the Mottoram by-pass as a cheaper idea than building a tunnel I think ideas are just been floated about to get a feel on public option.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk