Author Topic: Drill hall on ashgate road  (Read 4003 times)

Deadeye18

• View Profile
Drill hall on ashgate road
« on: July 03, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
Hello everyone,ok I have 2 questions 1st one is does anyone have any pictures of the Victorian drill hall that was on ashgate road and post them up?It was the jubilee drill hall that was later on converted and called called the goldwell rooms.It had a magnificent main door with fancy stone carvings on it that were covered up and the frontage was also extensively covered up aswell
My 2nd question is does anyone know if the slightly later Edwardian building used by the Sherwood Foresters in the same road is to be demolished or not?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Drill hall on ashgate road
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »
For starters.
From the Facebook group 'Old Chesterfield pics'
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldchesterfieldpics/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:34:20 PM by Fly »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
Welcome to ChesterfieldOnline  Deadeye (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Deadeye18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:30:50 PM »
Cheers for that fly (y)
I'd not seen them before.I still don't know about the fate of the surviving building so I've got our lass on the case as she works next to it.I hope it's not to be demolished.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:59:47 PM »
I heard/read somewhere, that it's going to be apartments/flats. I can't remember where  >:(
Have you looked on the councils planning applications pages?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 10:09:09 AM »
Great photo's Fly. I just love that building - very unusual.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Deadeye18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 11:29:22 AM »
No I've not tried the council planning Paige but I'll give it a go.Converstion would be better than demolition for sure!

Red

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 08:15:43 AM »
For starters.
From the Facebook group 'Old Chesterfield pics'
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldchesterfieldpics/
Hi.  I see you have copied my photo from Old Pictures of Chesterfield FB group, the one showing the Sherwood Foresters party.  I would like to ask why you think this picture was taken in Ashgate Drill Hall?  My reason for posting on FB was to try to find out where it was taken as I have old family members in the photo.  We had previously discounted Ashgate Drill Hall as looking at the windows and roof line and the size of the hall it did not seem to fit.  However, if you have knowledge or anyone has other photos from a similar period that can prove or disprove, or have knowledge as to where else this photo could have been taken I would appreciate it.  I am typing on behalf of my 86 year old father who has been trying to answer this question now for a few, years.  Any knowledge would be great. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:21:41 PM by Fly »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 12:38:10 PM »
Hi Red, welcome to Chesterfieldonline.

I didn't take the picture from your thread on OCP, someone else must have posted it alongside the other pics in another thread.
Your thread makes it quite clear it isn't Ashgate.
Pic removed from here.

PS. I'm admin on that Facebook group  MD

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »
Hi.  I see you have copied my photo from Old Pictures of Chesterfield FB group, the one showing the Sherwood Foresters party.  I would like to ask why you think this picture was taken in Ashgate Drill Hall?  My reason for posting on FB was to try to find out where it was taken as I have old family members in the photo.  We had previously discounted Ashgate Drill Hall as looking at the windows and roof line and the size of the hall it did not seem to fit.  However, if you have knowledge or anyone has other photos from a similar period that can prove or disprove, or have knowledge as to where else this photo could have been taken I would appreciate it.  I am typing on behalf of my 86 year old father who has been trying to answer this question now for a few, years.  Any knowledge would be great.

You mention Foresters party? If that's the case I would think that it was possibly Boythorpe Drill Hall, as that was the base for the Sherwood Foresters regiment.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Red

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 08:48:34 PM »
Hi Red, welcome to Chesterfieldonline.

I didn't take the picture from your thread on OCP, someone else must have posted it alongside the other pics in another thread.
Your thread makes it quite clear it isn't Ashgate.
Pic removed from here.

PS. I'm admin on that Facebook group  MD
Thanks Fly.

Red

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 08:58:46 PM »
You mention Foresters party? If that's the case I would think that it was possibly Boythorpe Drill Hall, as that was the base for the Sherwood Foresters regiment.
  (y) Thanks, I will try and get a photo of it.  It’s been a long search, I was hoping someone would recognise it, albeit the photo must be from the 1920’s.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 09:48:24 AM »
Hi Red. If you click the 'Quote' button on a post, type your reply after the   '  [/quote]  ' bit.  (y)
That way, your typing isn't within the blue quoted part. Hope this makes sense  ;)

Red

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 04:02:16 PM »
Hi Red. If you click the 'Quote' button on a post, type your reply after the   '    ' bit.  (y)
That way, your typing isn't within the blue quoted part. Hope this makes sense  ;)
Ah, thanks Fly, I wondered what I was doing wrong. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk