Author Topic: Whats Going On In Calow?  (Read 59253 times)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Going On In Calow?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 11:42:11 PM »
http://calowdevelopment.net78.net/

The Latest
Ignore my previous post. Too many beers. Try this instead.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 09:39:41 PM »
Many more updates/concerns here                       
http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/planningdocuments/CM4-0812-53/LRES%20CM4-0812-53.pdf

;

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »
Saw Calendar tonight. Basically no one in this country will benefit with cheaper gas bills.
They might if the fracking companies went to Poland, and we imported the gas.

You couldn't make this up !!

The Gov are allowing Fracking, depending on a 'per individual application'
eg: Every local council makes it's own decisions about it's own regional planning applications.

But Gov might step in if things look like they might be going wrong !!!!!

Isn't that a bit too late ??
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 08:18:40 AM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
@ Pete I was just going to post the same question about it being fracking ---- still some contraversy about that I think
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 10:32:59 PM »
Plenty, fracking can cause problems miles away from where the drilling takes place. Apparently Electricity Board are happy that there will be no subsidence regarding local pylons.
However, there are still concerns regarding noise levels for 24 hour drilling from the environment officer. Conveniently the Local Authourity site showing the letters of the application support and protest has gone down. Government has bigged up Shale Gas extraction.
Coincidence :-?
We don't want drilling rigs operating 24/7 within a small distance from our houses (about 300 metres), on what is listed as a single track road, with a weight limit, no off road parking for residents, but large lorries are expected during the construction of this site. However there is nowhere for the residents to move their cars to - no off road parking - no garages,etc.Single track road - rural location.
It seems that the burn off of methane could contribute to global warming just as much, if not more than burning coal. Plus the possibilities of contamination of the water table.
Its been proved that fracking can cause subsidence up to 10 miles away from the drill site.
I can't wait a moment longer - can you?
Just think - 10 mile radius of Calow - you have been warned. :(

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
Hasn't the local pressure group made any progress?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
Just think - 10 mile radius of Calow - you have been warned. :(

Try putting that on a map. Scary what it takes in.

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »
Hasn't the local pressure group made any progress?
They have had three well attended meetings, had an interview with BBC Radio Sheffield with both residents, and a representative from Alkane Gas, petitions in local shops, and pre-prepared letters that residents can forward to DCC, and add their individual comments, etc. Further meetings planned for the new year I understand. From what I've seen of the correspondence between the various contributors to the planning application, the Environmental Officers comments seem to be upholding a lot our concerns in terms of noise levels measured on the site by the applicant, and their figures seem to be open to much further detailed investigation - anomalies shall we say.
There are a few banners in an around Calow - C.A.G.E. (Calow Against Gas Extraction) - I think there are 8 costing £30 each.
So it is ongoing, and will do for a while yet.  >:(

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
Try putting that on a map. Scary what it takes in.

Here you go, 10 mile radius of Calow.
This isn't just Calow. It's a lot of us !!!

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Old Miner

• View Profile
    • Neil's Local History & Mining Site.
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 10:17:15 AM »
Hi.

I lived in Calow for many years, when as a child I remember drilling taking place all over the area in the 1960's with one borehole in particular near Elliots Butchers (slaughterhouse side) being capped off with valves. There were others. I was later told that it was to feed the new hospital with a supply of gas when it was needed.

I thought nothing of this until recently when the whole issue of boring and extraction of gas from Calow was renewed.

So this is not the first time and a few years ago I was told that local land owners were approached for access, presumably to get to the capped off boreholes.

There is plenty of gas underground in Bolsover and other deep mined areas so why not take this instead of upsetting the locals at Calow?

Old Miner.
Neil.
It's enough to make you wonder sometimes if indeed you are on the right planet.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
The frackers keep claiming that they have been engaging in hydraulic fracturing for 60 years.

This is as silly as saying pea shooters are the same as assault rifles. Yes, a projectile comes out of a tube in both cases, but the power and effects are totally different. The fracking that they did 60 years ago was very shallow and they did not have the kinds of pumps they use now. The modern pumps are as strong as a commercial passenger jet engine and they can use up to 6 of these monsters on each well.

They also didn't use the same chemicals as they have now and never even attempted to do what they do now - smash to smithereens whole strata of solid rock. That is what they do. Can you imagine the power needed to do that? The earth is not a solid thing. there are cracks and fissures and underground streams and even lakes down there, and all that pressure is sending shocks and chemicals to where none of us knows.

Not even the geologists, engineers and drillers have even a faint idea of what effects this fracking is having down there thousands of feet in the earth. We only know, from plenty of evidence, that it poisons water, land, people, animals, crops and other vegetation. It also cause earthquakes and that should tell us just how powerful the stresses are from this process.

They do not care what damage they do, because the initial licence holders get out quickly. As soon as the first strong flows start, they sell off parts of the licence and get mug investors to put up money. Then they go off before the stream slows down and all the ecological problems start becoming obvious.

They then go and do the same thing to some other unfortunate communities. :-?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
Good post mate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk