Author Topic: Where's this Church  (Read 9240 times)

Rheged

• View Profile
Re: Where's this Church
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2022, 11:26:00 PM »
Just did a bit of digging Fly.  (y)
It's OK if you don't like me.
Not everyone has good taste!

Rheged

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2022, 11:27:26 PM »
Thank you Old Cruser.  Pleased that you enjoyed the modern day pic.
It's OK if you don't like me.
Not everyone has good taste!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
As promised O.C. we were in the Cotswolds for a few days and paid a return visit to Snowshill.

I took a couple more photo's with my phone and have studied the angles etc concerning the church, your family and the pub and I think I can say with almost 100% certainty I think I've cracked it.
The grounds WERE extended, as the original photo does look like the family are closer to the church than the modern one this is because they were.
On the google map the Cenotaph was built in the extended grounds that sloped up from the church, this is why on the google map the road is higher than the original.
On google if you look at the large gravestone {that's leaning} to the left of the Cenotaph THIS is the stone that is on the lady's elbow in the original so therefore they were sat further down from where the gate is now and further into the grounds.
The gravestone in question has weathered badly so no writing is left on it.

I know it seems trivial but I had a bee in my bonnet about this and I wouldn't have rested till I got to the bottom of it...sad I know.

P.S. went in the church this time, just a plain church no stained glass windows no large altars etc just a plain country village church very pretty.   
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2022, 01:23:26 PM »
Not sad at all I would say pretty amazing to be honest and thank you so much for the information which seems to seal the fact that the photograph was indeed taken in the place they lived.
They were the Westbury Family.
I have often wondered how they travelled to Tupton from their back then. probably on the horse and cart!

I have another old photograph of my great grandfather my grandfather and siblings sitting in a horse and cart.

For awhile I did ponder on thinking it was taken where the now Corner Stone Cafe is opposite where the school is but  I now think it isn't there and may not be in the area.
Thanks for your information.
My aunt is coming to stay with us for the Queens Jubilee and will be interested to know where the photo of her grandmother and father was taken  :)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk