Author Topic: "Fast food"  (Read 2770 times)

Pastitman

• View Profile
"Fast food"
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
Talking  with  some  teenagers  recently  and  they  did  not  believe  that  there  were  Tripe  shops  in  town, (some  didn,t  even  know  what  Tripe  was). Think   I  am  right  in  saying  there  were  two  shops,  bottom  side  of  market  hall  and   Saltergate / Holywell  Cross. This  also  brought  to  mind  the  pie  and  pea  stall  that  stood, as I  remember, at  the  side  of  the  market  opposite  the  "pretty  windows", on  Friday  evenings. Also  missing  chippies .....  Shambles,  Bodens,  Holywell  Cross,  St. Marys  Gate (back  of  spire). Know  of  any  more. in  town  centre? (not  the  new  ones  please,  the  chips  don,t  get  wrapped  in  newspaper)
Do  what  you  can,  while  you  can!

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: "Fast food"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:06 PM »
I can remember the one at the bottom of Saltergate - will look and see if I can find a photo.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Pastitman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
Think  it  was  between  the  sweet  shop  and  fruit  and  veg  shop.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »
I cant remember the other shops, but I can see the trays of tripe in the window in my minds eye.

Pastitman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
Yes  Pete,  I  can  just  see  the  trays  now  but  no  way  was  I  having  any,  don,t  know  how  any  body  could  eat  that. An  old  mate  of  mine  loved  having  a  few  pints  in  the  King  &  Miller  and  then  going  for  his  bag  of  tripe  on  a  Saturday  afternoon.   ( think  hav  jus  gon  off  me  tea )   :)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 05:33:12 PM »
My elderly neighbour used to cook Tripe and Onions, it always smelled lovely but I couldn't eat it either.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
Dad used to eat it, think I tried a piece once as a child and never bothered again, Love black pud now and again  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
Dad used to eat it, think I tried a piece once as a child and never bothered again, Love black pud now and again  :)

mmmm yummy black pudding.
I like it cold with salt on between bread or cooked with bacon mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 10:20:32 PM »
There was definitely a tripe shop on the bottom side of the Market Hall.  My mum used to get some from there occasionally and cook it in milk with onions for my dad's tea. 

I could never bring myself to try it but my dad always declared it to be really tasty.  Each to their own  ::)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
I reckon one of the two little shops on the left is the tripe shop. The window of the white shop by the traffic lights shows the sloping surface that had the trays of tripe on as I remember.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:28:42 PM by Pete »

Pastitman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 06:29:22 AM »
Thanks  Pete,  you  are   right  about  that  and  the  sweet  shop  was  next  door. Carry  on  round  the  corner, past  Damms  and  there  was  Finches  army  stores  and  then  the  chippy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk