Author Topic: Misophonia!  (Read 515 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Misophonia!
« on: March 23, 2023, 12:14:20 PM »
I know.....I'd never heard the word before either.

Apparently it's a word dreamt up to describe all those niggly sounds that get on your nerves like, nails down a chalkboard, snoring, loud yawning, tapping, pen clicking and literally hundreds of other things that annoy you as individuals.

So a few that get on my wick {and I believe totally unnecessary} are:-
Loud chewing when eating or chewing gum {my mother used to call this "smacking your chops"} as do I.
Excessive slurping when drinking anything such as tea coffee etc.
People constantly tapping their fingers or an item {my brother does this all the time when out, usually tapping a beer mat on the table}
Anyone whistling whether tuneful or not.

There's lots more that get on my nerves but I think you'll find the majority of noises that annoy me may be universal.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

smithy266

• View Profile
Re: Misophonia!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 01:47:55 PM »
I like Cup-a-soups, and as I sip them from the mug, I them breathe out with an "Aaaah", which absolutely gets on SatNag's nerves, but I can't help doing it!

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 03:34:59 PM »
I know.....I'd never heard the word before either.

Apparently it's a word dreamt up to describe all those niggly sounds that get on your nerves like, nails down a chalkboard, snoring, loud yawning, tapping, pen clicking and literally hundreds of other things that annoy you as individuals.

So a few that get on my wick {and I believe totally unnecessary} are:-
Loud chewing when eating or chewing gum {my mother used to call this "smacking your chops"} as do I.
Excessive slurping when drinking anything such as tea coffee etc.
People constantly tapping their fingers or an item {my brother does this all the time when out, usually tapping a beer mat on the table}
Anyone whistling whether tuneful or not.

There's lots more that get on my nerves but I think you'll find the majority of noises that annoy me may be universal.
Whistling, oh god. My mother came from a family who would whistle really badly by the way. When we were at her families house on holiday there would be four of them all whistling at the same time. It was absolutely horrible it went right through your ears. Couldn't stand it and I had to listen to it for years. My grandfather on my dad's side he would eat loud and make noises but the whistling was definitely the worst.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 04:58:10 PM »
Once in a training session a man was sitting on the front row clicking his pen.
The trainer stopped talking and very firmly asked him to stop it.
It was obviously annoying her
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 08:32:33 PM »
My {now departed} father in law always used to click pens too, but his worst trait was sitting with his legs outstretched and crossed so he could tap his shoes together ALL THE TIME, I always made some excuse to "borrow" the pen then hide it but I couldn't do a lot about his legs!!!!

Many years ago we went to Canada for a week, we went by organised mini bus {along with about 10 other couples} to Manchester airport. One of the couples {o.a.p's} her husband never stopped whistling........and I do mean NEVER!
He whistled whilst waiting for the bus...on the bus....in the airport....on the plane, you get the picture. He just never shut up, I could only assume his wife was stone deaf, our paths crossed a few times whilst there so we automatically went in the opposite direction.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk