Author Topic: J J Clayton  (Read 1940 times)

Northerner123

• View Profile
J J Clayton
« on: October 05, 2019, 06:52:07 PM »
Hello all !

I was researching my Grandpas` ( Eric Staton )old company & found a post on here from 2015 regarding it however it wont let me post on it.

It was J J Claytons or the `old pop factory` as I remember locals calling it! There was a warehouse I`m sure was at Whittington Moor &  another closer to Chesterfield town centre.I remember spending many happy Summer Holidays with my Grandparents whom lived on Somersall Lane, Grandpa was a keen bowls player played at the green top of Somersall Lane near the pub which I`m sure was called The Terminus?
I`m wondering if anyone on here remembers it or can advise where I can possibly buy some memorabilia as my Dad will be 80 later this month & we often talk about the company. I`ve managed to get a few bottles from Ebay ! Thanks!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: J J Clayton
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 01:38:57 AM »
Hi. Welcome to chesterfieldonline Northerner123
I'll look for the post you refer to tomorrow. Not sure why it won't let you post there, but it does here.
Claytons to me, makes me think of the tannery at the bottom of Hady Hill.   MD
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 11:23:51 AM »
Claytons to me, makes me think of the tannery at the bottom of Hady Hill.   MD

I too can't seem to recall a "pop" factory in town, their factory was on Foundry St. Whitt Moor.
 Joseph Clayton tannery ON Clayton street in town {as you say Fly bottom of Hady hill} might have caused some confusion, but as I always stipulate I will stand corrected if wrong.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
The bowling green is still there, and still in use. The Terminus Bowling Club is actually the oldest surviving bowling club in the world.

As for the other thing, are you perhaps thinking  of the "Chilly Willy" Ice Pop factory?
That was in the top end of Brampton, so just a short walk from the end of Somersall Lane.

The Chilly Willy name survives via their American owners Walgreens, and they still make ice pops, but every trace of the old Brampton factory is now long gone.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:17:20 AM »
I wish the forum had a 'Like' button similar to Facebook.
A very informative post kromercap  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk