Author Topic: Covid - 19  (Read 22028 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Covid - 19
« on: March 05, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
We have it in the UK and have to get on with it.

Tesco Clay Cross today was busy - 'like Christmas' staff were saying.

Most of the shelving was stocked but the soap had gone!!

Looks like we have panic buying in our midst.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Covid - 19
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 08:28:51 PM »
Coronavirus..When I first heard about this, the word containment was already outdated. To contain any virus {especially at source} is a near impossibility, especially with the vast "worldwide" movement of people in today's hurly burly world.

Self confinement is also not going to work too well. Watching yesterdays P.M.Q's when they talked about having time off work to for self confinement they made it sound so easy, but you can bet your bottom dollar, in many cases, if you rang your boss up and said you weren't coming in for a fortnight chances are you would be looking for another job. What about emergency service staff that HAVE to go because of the already chronic shortage of staff in their fields.

They also keep talking about constantly keeping surfaces clean, but what about huge areas of "office" space {yes even hospitals} where possibly the cleaning crews are brought in by agencies, where they work on tight budgets and have been known to use the cheapest of materials to do their jobs and speed is of the essence which ultimately leads to corner cutting in order for the agency to make as much money as possible from the cheapest outlay, I'm afraid many agencies like this would just add to the problem.
Same with public transport, I wonder how many times those bus train or tram seats get a good deep cleansing or the whole vehicle for that matter. My mother used to refer to cleaning like this as giving whatever it was "A quick lick and a promise".

One thing that is sadly missing nowadays.... when we were small and had a cold or whatever we used an old "snot rag" supplied by mum to wipe our noses on, then..
WE THREW THEM ON THE FIRE!!
We didn't let them sit festering in litter bins for hours on end.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 11:11:12 PM »
We have it in the UK and have to get on with it.

Tesco Clay Cross today was busy - 'like Christmas' staff were saying.

Most of the shelving was stocked but the soap had gone!!

Looks like we have panic buying in our midst.

Looks like some people have only just discovered soap  :))

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 09:19:08 AM »
Looks like some people have only just discovered soap  :))

Yep !! From what the cashier told me to buy antibacterial on line is costing a lot of money - £70.00 for 3 small bottles!!

Sorastro - I agree with what you say, it's almost impossible to keep this at bay - we can wash our hands, and after use our mobiles with the same hands we used before washing them!
We are booked for a two nights stay in York and a trip on a steam train to Scotland later this month for hubby's 70th. Will it happen?
Watch this space!!
The UK has now had it's first death from this Virus, there will probably be a few more!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Just heard from my daughter who's seen it somewhere that obviously due to the outbreak....

As from Monday 23rd March Stagecoach will be running a Sunday service only.

Maybe Scimitar could confirm this?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
Just heard from my daughter who's seen it somewhere that obviously due to the outbreak....

I've seen him around on facebook just now so will check.
Meanwhile we are in isolation and I need to bring my daughter here to stay with us as she is high risk if she gets it as well.
It's going to be a tough few months!!

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »
I've seen him around on facebook just now so will check.
Meanwhile we are in isolation and I need to bring my daughter here to stay with us as she is high risk if she gets it as well.
It's going to be a tough few months!!

My sisters care home is in lockdown for the next 12 weeks, unfortunately, due her limited mental capacity, she is finding it very difficult to accept and comprehend.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »
The young woman I give short breaks too was struggling and stressed last weekend. Autistic  people will struggle as well with this major upheaval.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 11:30:44 PM »

No- it will be a Saturday Service
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 11:57:43 AM »
 :)) :D ;D 8)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 01:37:56 PM »
OUCH!!!

Anyway, why are people panic buying and stockpiling??.....Because that's what people do, tell them not to do something and it's the first thing they do.
I was guilty of that once, well if you could call it stockpiling, in the mid seventies there was a "rumour" going round there was a shortage of sugar {remember that?} that's when I worked for a local well known bakery as a salesman and having two small kids in those days plus I had two heaped teaspoons of sugar in my tea. I gave most of my customers {shop keepers} a sob story and they kept me supplied with bags of sugar. We didn't have tons of the stuff but enough to pass quite a bit onto friends and family especially those with kids.

I'm the first to admit that since then I have always had stock of the essentials, especially those with long {or no} sell by dates, bog roll, kitchen roll, bleach/cleaning stuff, toothpaste, tinned stuff, freezer stuff, and funnily enough just a one pound bag of sugar lasts us a year now. This is done mainly due to the fact when I worked my missus could shop without lugging heavy cumbersome items back from town on the bus, as she doesn't drive.

When it comes to things like this the vast majority of shoppers go into "selfish" mode, and the rest find themselves having to follow suit or run the risk of not getting what they want.
All shops should be made to put a limit on ANY item being bought irrespective of shortages or not.

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
Trust me, the worst hasn't even started yet.

Just wait until the Jehovah's Witnesses realise everyone is stuck at home... ::)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 09:17:14 PM »
We are now in isolation for 12 weeks. So is my daughter.
Tesco sent out emails advising that Stores would be open for OAP's and vulnerable people on Monday Wednesday and Friday 9 - 10.
A friend of mine went only to find the shelves were empty -----
That didn't work did it!

We have the boxed board games out to pass the time as quite frankly TV and the Laptop would  not be  the best thing to pass the time!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 12:55:36 AM »
Ham Radio. It's times like this I'm glad I got my licence (y)

73's M6YIF  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 09:32:37 PM »
From what I hear The Peak District has been heaving today.Car parks full and around Monsall Dale people in groups  strolling about.I also saw a photo of Matlock Bath with loads of Motor Cyclists stood around.I despair.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk