Author Topic: Family life on benefits  (Read 12065 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Family life on benefits
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 12:46:25 PM »
Just read about a guy in Clay Cross who got busted for claiming various benefits when he had £70,000 stashed!

He received £20,000 but only got a 12-month community order and 150 hours of unpaid work.

I give up...
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

k4blades

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »
Yep, its this kind of stuff  that makes it difficult for those in genuine need. I hope he was made to pay it back, but bet he wasn't. And with such little punishment, is it any wonder people do it.
Its about time they stamped down hard on people like this, so that what little money is available is spent on genuine cases. They are the people who suffer most of all from these criminals because it just causes the Govt to cut overall spending on benefits, instead of focusing on where its really needed.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 07:41:43 PM »
Sad thing is, if they hit him hard and sentenced him for a term at HM's pleasure.
He still get's 3 meals a day and a plasma tv.
His family will still claim benefits, because of his abscence.

Where does it all end.

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »
And another one! Just read on the Chesterfield Post website about an old girl who claimed £8,000 in benefits despite the fact she had £86,000 stashed and also owned two properties.  >:(

http://bit.ly/zjRG9k
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

k4blades

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »
One on the radio last week was about a woman claiming disability, but she owned horses and spent her days mucking out and riding. (I think her disability was "depression".......didums)

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »
Sad thing is, if they hit him hard and sentenced him for a term at HM's pleasure.
He still get's 3 meals a day and a plasma tv.
His family will still claim benefits, because of his abscence.

Where does it all end.

I know this bloke.  He's alone now due to his shenanigans.  Family better off without him.

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
again crap how these people manage to get money
RE: Depression.. why diddums? I and my partner have suffered with it the majority of our lives whilst it doesnt stop me from working on the whole my partner was unable to finish school/college/uni due to this coupled with sleep associated illness. Depression is a very misunderstood illness!
I wonder how this woman with the 85K was unable to get away with it? I mean when you claim benefits they want to know everything you also have to give proof you have nothing to your name so to speak. It pisses me off when there are genuine people needing help then you get people like this taking the piss out of us  >:(

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »
Understand and agree 100% emmz.
I reckon I could get on the sick suffering from depression after a visit to my doc.
Might even be better off.
But to be totally honest, I'd be bored not working.
Just wish I was earning more by working  :)

And just for the record, we pay full rent, full council tax, NI and tax,  and don't claim 1p in benefits.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

k4blades

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 07:12:37 PM »
Because depression isn't a disability. We can debate whether or not its an illness, but thats different. And I too suffered with depression some 20 odd years ago when I got divorced, and spent 6 weeks homeless, and the consequences that came with it, still didn't miss work or claim benefits, I just upset a few customers along the way.
If someone is depressed, yes they need help, they don't need to be resigned to a life on benefits.

And then you have to question if someone is genuinely depressed if they spend their days riding their own horses. Not wanting to generalise, but not knowing all the facts, I would guess there are people who may have more pressing reasons for depression.   

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
honestly i wish i didnt need the help as much as we do, even when i was working i just didnt earn enough to keep us. I worked (before mat leave) 31 hours a week, with that i earned around £600 per month. Consider £390 for rent alone, then there was council tax, bills...food etc.. It just wasnt enough to keep us going and because partner does not work then there was just my wage. hence we needed the help. But they always checked that i was earning what i said i was, if i earned more one month than another i would have to pay back the money we had.
Its pants but it did work out ok.
Apologies if last post seemed a tad harsh i just get a little peeved with people that dont (or seem to write) that they dont fully understand depression, ive lived with parents with it, i am a sufferer you cant *pull* yourself out of it it doesnt work that way, However i would not consider me to be in a position of unable to work. Agree with fly in that i am getting bored of being at home! Working gives you a sense of purpose. It makes you feel like a person. *andddddd chill* :D :D

k4blades

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »
Emma, I'm not having a go at you or you family, I'm generalising for the sake of making my point.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
Agree with fly in that i am getting bored of being at home! Working gives you a sense of purpose. It makes you feel like a person. *andddddd chill* 

Bang on, nail on head.
If people 'want', to work, let them, and pay them accordingly.
I don't want to work for less than I could be getting on benefits though  :(

@K4 We cross posted, I'm sure emmz doesn't think your having a go.
There's always more 'factors' in anything  :)

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »
im not having a go at anyone in particular, just getting my point across from how i see it. As im living a life on benefits i can contribute :) Thing i like about this forum is that i can do just that :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk