Author Topic: Events around Chesterfield and district this year  (Read 1186 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Events around Chesterfield and district this year
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:25:15 PM »
Just thought I would start this thread for members to add any events they know of which will be taking place around the county.
This is my first contribution for any steam lovers out there.

Derbyshire's steam heritage will be coming back to life over the two May Bank Holidays.

We are opening up Middleton Top engine house and Leawood Pump steam beam engine on Saturday 4, Sunday 5, Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 May.

Middleton Top engine house based on the High Peak Trail is the world's oldest original working rotative beam engine and will be operating from noon until around 5pm. And the nearby Leawood Pump steam beam engine on the Cromford Canal will also be operating from 12pm until about 5pm.

Our Deputy Cabinet Member for Jobs, Economy and Transport, Councillor Andy Botham said:

"Thanks to the work of two groups of volunteers everyone has an opportunity to see some of Derbyshire's history in action.

"Seeing the steam engines in life, as they would have been when they were in daily use, is amazing."

Admission to Middleton Top engine house is £2.70 and £1.30 for concessions and entry to Leawood Pump House is free.

Our visitor centres at High Peak Junction and Middleton Top will also be open seven days a week until September, where visitors can find out more about heritage and wildlife and what to see and do. Attractions include an audio tour at High Peak Junction workshops visitor centre, bringing the history of Cromford Canal and one of the oldest surviving railway workshops alive. There is a £2.70 charge for the tour (Concessions £1.30). Or why not hire a bike from Middleton Top and follow the path taken by the railway wagons until 1967 down the high peak trail towards Hopton tunnel & beyond?

The centres also provide information, maps, books and light refreshments.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:28:42 PM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Events around Chesterfield and district this year
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
Saw this advertised the other day. I got told off the other year for not mentioning it LOL  ;)

Chesterfield Canal Festival 2014
We will be holding our Festival at Staveley Town Basin, S43 3XZ, on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th June from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Admission will be £3, free for Under 12s.
http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:44:13 PM »

I wasn't aware of this availability until I received these flyers.

Aimed at people with disabilities I reckon it's great and hope someone who sees this can make use of it.

Some of my work has been within the Aiming High group, it's a relatively new scheme started by Derbyshire I 'think' within the last five years.

002.jpg

001.jpg
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:50:19 PM by Old Cruser »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 05:46:22 PM »
Half Term

21 May 2014

Don't be stuck for something to do this half term. We have a range of different events to entertain the kids − and some of them are free.

Half term events include:

Saturday 24 May − Sat 31 May

Family Fun Trail, Shipley Country Park.

Follow trails, search for clues and find out about wildlife and nature.

11am − 3.30pm each day

50p per child

For more information on countryside events, visit www.derbyshire.gov.uk/countrysideevents (opens in a new window)

Sunday 25 May

Go Wild at Pleasley, Pleasley Pit Country Park.

Quizzes and games with countryside rangers and a chance to see some wildlife.

10am − 4pm

FREE

Tuesday 27 May

Time travel and treasure hunt.

Derbyshire Record Office.

A day of discovery and fun for all the family. There will be a treasure hunt, children can have a go at designing their own family crest or decorating a family tree.

Older children can 'time travel' by rummaging through the archives and see what historical material they unearth.

9.30am - 5pm

FREE

Call 01629 538347 or just drop in at the Record Office on New Street in Matlock.

Wednesday 28 May

Wild Wild West event, Tapton Lock Visitor Centre.

Wild West Activities and games. Follow tracks and trails, make a teepee, headdress or sheriff's star.

1.30pm - 3.30pm

£3 per child

Wednesday 28 May

Snapping Crocs and Slithering Snakes, Duffield Library.

Reptiles stories, crafts and games. Suitable for seven to 11-year-olds.

01332 840324

FREE

Thursday 29 May

Making friends with trees.

Derbyshire Eco Centre.

An exciting adventure to inspire children about nature, trees and woods.

£17

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk