Author Topic: Fruit and vegetable consumption by poorer families falls 30%  (Read 8271 times)

emmz

• View Profile
Re: Fruit and vegetable consumption by poorer families falls 30%
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
Putting my 2 cents in if i may.
I don't work at the moment and havnt for a year, i certainly dont have a cba attitude when it comes to job hunting however there isnt the job for me at the moment, I don't smoke and i don't drink so i feel that the statement that thats what poor folks do is a bit lame. I am poor but i don't spend my money on things like that,
Clothes for the little one, uniform for her every few months, food each week, new shoes, gas, electric etc has to come out of the money we get. Yes fruit and veg is cheap and i can gladly say they are things which are a part of our diet but i hate to think that people like my family are being put in a group because we are of the poorer kind.
My parents for years and years were poor and i agree the way THEY did things were not to be expected (selfish is the word) Which is why i chose to do things differently.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
So Sure Start was a waste of time effort and money then?

Not sure it should be called a waste just because there isn't 100% take up.

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »
But do the families teach their kids to say please and thank you.
I have 5 grandkids, I can take them anywhere and they will be polite and say please and thank you, but on the next table there are scrotes who run riot. I am very proud of the fact that I can cook, my kids can cook and 2 of the grandkids can cook.
The other 3 will be taught.
Only one of my family is over 10 stone, we are heathy and fit.
And why?  Because we don't eat junk.

k4blades

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
Putting my 2 cents in if i may.
I don't work at the moment and havnt for a year, i certainly dont have a cba attitude when it comes to job hunting however there isnt the job for me at the moment, I don't smoke and i don't drink so i feel that the statement that thats what poor folks do is a bit lame. I am poor but i don't spend my money on things like that,
Clothes for the little one, uniform for her every few months, food each week, new shoes, gas, electric etc has to come out of the money we get. Yes fruit and veg is cheap and i can gladly say they are things which are a part of our diet but i hate to think that people like my family are being put in a group because we are of the poorer kind.
My parents for years and years were poor and i agree the way THEY did things were not to be expected (selfish is the word) Which is why i chose to do things differently.

Well said Emma, I too had a very poor upbringing and have known poverty as an adult, but worked very hard to change things.
How you bring your kids up is nothing to do with if you are rich or poor. Some parents do a good job and they can be skint, but on the other hand, there are some parents that are rubbish but have lots of money. We all make choices, and if some people choose to feed their kids crap, the luvvies from the "Graudian" shouldn't be making the rest of us feel guilty or responsible for that.
Or as I like to say; "Let them eat cake" lol.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »
Me too! My childhood memories include bread and jam for tea, no holidays some years, having long trousers that were too short cos I grew so fast my parents couldn't afford new ones. No schools trips, worn out shoes, cheap football boots, etc.

I too was taught right from wrong, how to be polite, giving up seats for older folks, writing thank you letters at Christmas, etc.

And I'm a Guardian reader... Shock, horror!
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 05:25:39 PM »
So Sure Start was a waste of time effort and money then?
Sure start no its been the biggest help in the early stages of having a child and i think it should carry on getting any funding it can. Think that more parents should try and join in the many groups that their centre have to offer including the fruit and veg they sell by the bagful!
Brampton (near me) is a great centre and was a big help when i needed them (quite a lot actually)
Agree in ways that parents should be able to give fruit and veg more but why should it be shoved down our throats?
Again as a youngster i dont remember having that much of the green stuff. I too didnt have holidays or even meals on set days because my parents wanted their cigs  >:( but hey such is life, i dont want to be tarred with the same brush because im in the position they were in....blah

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
Just for the record, I wasn't implying that all kids of CBA parents turn into CBA's.
I'm sure you all know I'm not that shallow to imply that.

I personally think the Sure Start thing was/is good.
A similiar thing was in situ when me and my ex parted.
We used it as a neutral ground for my contact with the kids.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
Poverty and a poor upbringing are not necessarily linked and having a bad upbringing yourself does not automatically imply you will bring your own kids up badly however it is likely that you have more obstacles to overcome to be a good parent. It probably means you are stronger than someone who had good role models to follow.

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
And how many people on the market shout £ a bag?  The art of cooking is lost.

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »
Yes agree that not many people can cook nowadays. I can to a standard also took some cooking lessons to improve myself, as it happens chicken casserole tonight people!!! Lots of healthy veg and meat too :D
A woman i met at this group, older than myself she was completly uselss, the "cooking" she did was bung a pizza in the oven, she apparently never cooks and she told me that veg is not a big thing in her house, she was also not partial to doing the washing up :@

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
I was bought up in a mining family with only dad working, our toys and clothes were bought through Provident cheques.
We had to fill up on bread abd potatoes, but did have some fruit. I remember sitting watching tele with a pomegranate and darning needle OMG
These days fruit and veg (fresh) are a big part of my diet.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »
>> pomegranate and darning needle

Sounds like our house.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk