Author Topic: Highway Code  (Read 632 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Highway Code
« on: August 03, 2021, 06:25:43 PM »
So, this government is proposing sweeping changes to the Highway Code.

In their infinite wisdom they're giving tiered priority to the least harmful road users, ie pedestrians first, cyclists next, then cars, vans etc etc. They're also putting more onus on the motorist to prove their innocence, rather than pedestrians and cyclists.

All very laudable, but, here's my thoughts on the matter:

1) are they going to start charging ALL users - currently it's only us motorists that are charged, via the road tax

2) aren't we overly enabling pedestrians and cyclists to abuse their new found power? We will have to give way to pedestrians wanting to cross the road at points other than crossings? This will cause more congestion in built up areas and the possibility of more accidents.

3) some cyclists already drive erratically and, when in a group, ride inconsiderately. This proposal is just giving them the green light to carry on as they are already doing.

4) if they're doing a tiered approach, then will electric vehicles have priority over bigger gas guzzling vehicles?

I can see the thinking behind their proposals but I'm afraid it's fraught with problems.

Finally, until they perfect electric vehicles (longer range between chatting, more {working} charging points).......
..... STOP HAMMERING THE LONG SUFFERING ROAD USERS! 😡
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Highway Code
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 02:25:17 PM »
Our car will be changed in September and not for an electric one, as far as I am concerned they are still a grey area in motoring.

Some Cyclists have little respect for vehicles as it is, I am unsure why they ride on some of the roads, there is no way of passing them and we then have a large tail back of traffic.
I am sure with some thought other routes could be used.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 04:16:30 PM »
What gets me going is these idiots on disability buggies driving in the road, they have no lights on and though on the road they do not obey the rules of the road, i nearly drove into one at night pulling out of a junction straight in front of me, i had to slam on the brakes and he had the cheek to tell me i was the one in the wrong.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 08:41:35 PM »
What gets me going is these idiots on disability buggies driving in the road, they have no lights on and though on the road they do not obey the rules of the road, i nearly drove into one at night pulling out of a junction straight in front of me, i had to slam on the brakes and he had the cheek to tell me i was the one in the wrong.

I agree with you regarding some of these large Scooters toddling along Derby Road and elsewhere. I suppose if there were cycle lanes they should be using those but it's not a straight forward one as they are too large for pavements and really not suitable for roads.

Motability have been brilliant during the Covid lockdowns. Daughter has had two £50.00 cheques sent as apparently the insurance claims in the UK have been so low during this time.
I changed the car on Monday and received a £900.00 good condition bonus ( based over the five years I have driven it.
I have explained to hubby and daughter that I am RIGHT to ignore them when they tell me how to drive - had I taken their advice that £900.00 may not have been forth coming  :)) :)) :))

As a by the way Daughter is clapping her hands as she is in need of a new ipad!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk