Author Topic: Part time posties!  (Read 398 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Part time posties!
« on: January 25, 2024, 08:42:29 PM »
Another brilliant idea thought up by the suits.......

There is talk of cutting down the number of days you will receive your mail, could be down to three days a week if the P.O. have their way.
I cannot see how that would work {let alone save money} if postmen have only 3 days to deliver six days worth of mail they will most definitely require more staff on those days which will undoubtedly cost more, granted the amount of letters posted nowadays pales in comparison to years ago {a good % of all mail is now emails and courier sent} but every address has to be covered. There has been a steady decline in the postal service as we can see as the vast majority of people now get their mail in the P.M., me included. I used to get my mail at 7 o'clock in the morning now if someone wants to send me an "urgent" before noon letter they have to pay extra and still no guarantee.
A classic example will be what will happen to those people who have prescriptions through the post?

Unless they have a plan B that I am not aware of {baring in mind I was in a very similar delivery industry for nearly 40 years} then my opinion is it's doomed to fail, that means more taxpayers money down the drain, lets see what they come up with.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Part time posties!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 05:47:36 PM »
I'm unsure how this will work out as well. Will the Posties be expected to work longer days?
I can't see them setting on extra staff to fit it in but agree so much is sent via email these days.
Stamps I reckon will go up yet again and I'm thinking they will be having to pay out an awful lot after what has been revealed recently.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 12:36:46 PM »
Every time they put the stamp prices up it's another nail on the R.M.'s coffin.

Lets face it the vast % of what drops on your doormat is junk nowadays, but good or bad this is what is helping keep them afloat.
I was a latecomer to technology {computers mobiles and the like} not till I was in my 60's and I still haven't fully grasped all it has to offer, this is why I still insist on hard copies of my bills etc. by post, even though I can usually look it up on line. There are some companies I deal with that tell me they will charge me for a postal bill, for example EE charges £3:80 per posted bill and it probably costs them 50p tops to send it out, but I work on the principal of while ever I need a posted bill delivering there's a need for a postman/woman.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 01:41:35 PM »
Every time they put the stamp prices up it's another nail on the R.M.'s coffin.

Lets face it the vast % of what drops on your doormat is junk nowadays, but good or bad this is what is helping keep them afloat.
I was a latecomer to technology {computers mobiles and the like} not till I was in my 60's and I still haven't fully grasped all it has to offer, this is why I still insist on hard copies of my bills etc. by post, even though I can usually look it up on line. There are some companies I deal with that tell me they will charge me for a postal bill, for example EE charges £3:80 per posted bill and it probably costs them 50p tops to send it out, but I work on the principal of while ever I need a posted bill delivering there's a need for a postman/woman.

I had to learn the techie thig of using laptops for my work years ago. Did two courses and yes they helped as prior to that I couldn't even switched a laptop on!!
I print a lot of my own paperwork these days and use external drives for storage.
Rubbish at putting posters together though  :))  I know a man that can and he's pretty good bless him. :)

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 11:00:39 AM »
Those posties should take a bit more care....we have has so many letters for neighbours recently, and some of ours have gone to others...Can't they read?!!
All names and addresses were perfectly clear...

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 03:17:38 PM »
Oh dear. That's not good.
What makes us chuckle is that they all wear shorts theses days!
Tough posties eh !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk