Author Topic: One for Scimitar. Bus routes under threat !  (Read 2862 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: One for Scimitar. Bus routes under threat !
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
Just seen this story on Facebook.
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/150-derbyshire-bus-routes-under-threat-1-7722790#ixzz3zbF84IrG
Many late night services supported by DCC are a waste of time. I recently did a 9 hour shift on a sunday which pays me over £11.50 an hour. I took £40 in sold tickets all day.That did not pay for the fuel or my wages.
However the 54's on a monday morning when everyone wants a £12.50 megarider plus the driver can take over a £1000 in 4 hours - just half a shift!
I guess DCC will stop subsidies to the likes of TM travel who do runs to Alfreton (97a) at night just as an example-hope I'm wrong.

I guess also they will withdraw funding on stagecoach services which will impact on services possibly being curtailed or reduced in time.
Sometimes on a late shift I drive around (supported by DCC) with hardly any passengers whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:20:19 PM by Scimitar »
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:57:21 PM »
I took the assumption due to the picture in the article being a Stagecoach bus  ::)
Typical DT  :-X
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
I took the assumption due to the picture in the article being a Stagecoach bus  ::)
Typical DT  :-X
Stagecoach have a virtual monopoly in Chesterfield - no competition. As far as I remember back to Chesterfield Transport days (pre Stagecoach) this has always been the case.
Stagecoach (Chesterfield) is a massive earner for the group as a whole - huge depot with massive engineering capacity, paint shop,upholstery, etc. We even store "reserve" buses which can be called into service as & when.
We also apparently charge the best fares countrywide.
As far as I know we are not planning any cuts in services at this moment in time.
You never know though....... >:(

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:41:19 AM »
Stagecoach have a virtual monopoly in Chesterfield - no competition. As far as I remember back to Chesterfield Transport days (pre Stagecoach) this has always been the case.
Stagecoach (Chesterfield) is a massive earner for the group as a whole - huge depot with massive engineering capacity, paint shop,upholstery, etc. We even store "reserve" buses which can be called into service as & when.
We also apparently charge the best fares countrywide.
As far as I know we are not planning any cuts in services at this moment in time.
You never know though....... >:(
Blimey...dread to think what some folk are having to pay then!! I was recently charged just shy of £2 to go from Brookside Bar to Morrisons when i was heading out on Brampton one Friday evening...a total journey of around a mile. Its certainly made me think twice about using the bus when i could just take the car when i'm ready to go, leave it on Brampton and just walk down with the dog the following day to fetch it.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »
Short journey's are the most expensive. However you could use that route into town as many times a day as you wanted 7 days a week for £12.50.
Not guessing that you'd want to though bransoj :-[

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »
No requirement to use a bus very often so no point in any multi journey ticket. I generally use the car or walk. Just the odd occasion I used it if it was bad weather etc but it's hardly enticing me in to pay that much. Once you start talking about going all the way into town it's only down to the bottom of town near the bus station and if they are a couple of you a taxi is about the same price if not cheaper and we can book it for when we want.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 07:59:21 PM »
I'm not really sure what's going on with the buses through our village.
I have seen a bus to Ashover/ Matlock and during the last week one which said Clay Cross/ Alfreton.

These are routes alien to our village - I 'think' they were Hulley's rather than Stage Coach which come through frequently on a daily basis
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »
Here in Sheffield their have been drastic cuts to bus services ,routes that were previously had bus every ten minutes reduced to every half hour or completely withdrawn. The result been chaos people struggling to get to work and fares were increased which fueled public angry some have called for the council to run the bus service and booting out of both First and Stagecoach companies who undertook the changes with out listening to what the people wanted . Also a company called Tates who ran the rural services have gone bust yesterday as funding for their routes gets pulled. In Chesterfield the problem here is one company holds the reins all well and good but if funding gets drastically cut liked here in Sheffield has and the company has to run routes out of its own money the less profitable ones will be axed first leaving areas without a service so unless you live near or on a major route it will be tough luck.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »
Here in Sheffield their have been drastic cuts to bus services ,routes that were previously had bus every ten minutes reduced to every half hour or completely withdrawn. The result been chaos people struggling to get to work and fares were increased which fueled public angry some have called for the council to run the bus service and booting out of both First and Stagecoach companies who undertook the changes with out listening to what the people wanted . Also a company called Tates who ran the rural services have gone bust yesterday as funding for their routes gets pulled. In Chesterfield the problem here is one company holds the reins all well and good but if funding gets drastically cut liked here in Sheffield has and the company has to run routes out of its own money the less profitable ones will be axed first leaving areas without a service so unless you live near or on a major route it will be tough luck.
Blair brought in free travel for pensioners. Gradually funding from central government to local government in terms of funding free travel has almost disappeared. The Bus companies have tried to absorb this reduction whilst keeping fares reasonable. Whilst some funding still exists, I'm not sure how much longer this will last.
Whilst the history of Stagecoach can be hailed as a business phenomenon from it's original venture, there is no wonder that smaller bus companies are going to the wall. I fear for the likes of Hulley's & G&J Holmes - long established private firms - without funding or enough profit could fold.
We sent "reserve" buses & drivers to help out Tate's demise as soon as it unfolded so they still had a service.
If local authorities seize control of bus operations, then I guess drivers wages would be substantially reduced - so how would they fill the jobs? The training for a starter to pass his/her PCV test is substantial & costly, the CPC regulations we have to comply with require regular training.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk