Author Topic: Local forums  (Read 2561 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Local forums
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:25:06 PM »
Someone asked a question on Chesterfieldforum yesterday.
"What's happened to the forum, has it been left to die and gather dust. Spam posts not removed for days, what's happened?"
I replied "Facebook .  .  .  .?"

I looked today to see if there was any replies, and the posts have been removed.
Nothing changes there then, obviously don't like neg posts even on a near dead froum !!

So I'll put the same/similiar question to people on here. What's happened to local forums ?
Sheffieldforum still seams quite busy, but then again it's a city, and the forum has thousands of members.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:02:32 PM by Fly »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

who can tell

• View Profile
Re: Local forums
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »
I think local forums are not so popular now theirs so many other websites to join unlike in the early days of the Internet. Sheffield Forum works because it has its regular posters and sheer numbers of user's but even at that it is not as busy as it once was. Manchester has a forum but its dead I believe Leeds has one too no idea if that's well used. This forum has a few regular posters people seems to join but never post a thing or simply just curious. I think Facebook has dominated social media since it came online it would be difficult to rival it. My daughter likes it though , I do keep guard while she uses it mostly she talks to her mates and family because its the 'in' thing I don't think she would like  to join sites like this it has no appeal to her . Another point with forums they often become battle grounds people get upset ( this has happened a lot on Sheffield Forum ) and stay away in fact Sheffield has two forums the other is Sheffield Chit Chat formed after a fall out so I'm told. Do local forums have a future well its up to people to use them .
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
The other forum was very busy at one time as was this one.
Lots of nastiness going on over there at one time which may have put some off. We haven't really had that problem on here.

I have to agree the open forums such as this are much quieter these days.

Facebook has taken over. People join and just add their family and friends so therefore feel they can post more personal things about their lives on it.
There are many 'groups'  forming on facebook as well, which means that any who joins can join in - this is when we need to make sure our accounts on there are tight!

Maybe now is a good time to put it out to all members what  sections of topics they would like to see on here - Sports? History? Benefits?
Disabled questions? Cars?  Hobbies?

As WCT says it's up to people to use them.

ps WCT I'm sure if I'm wrong fly or scimitar will correct me but this is an adult forum and your daughter would be too young to join.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »
Not mentioning any names, but i do believe that chesterfield forum has suffered from the effects of one overdominant member over the last couple of years ! >:(
He has certainly put me off wanting to express any kind of opinion over on there ! :(

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »
Your opinions are always welcome on here Tarzan  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 03:24:16 AM »
Not mentioning any names, but i do believe that chesterfield forum has suffered from the effects of one overdominant member over the last couple of years ! >:(
He has certainly put me off wanting to express any kind of opinion over on there ! :(
Well I believe that you say what you want to on an open forum as the "other" one is supposed to be. Open debate is healthy & opinions on whatever subjects should be respected accordingly. We do this on this forum willingly & up to now successfully.
Obviously distasteful or offensive posts are up for scrutiny as you would expect, but whatever else is said is usually welcome MD
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »

I think I know which member you may be referring to and I can understand what you mean.

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 09:45:34 AM »
I had a look on the other Chesterfield Forum yesterday very little used, spam on one thread got a feel of been given up on .Who ever owns it seems to  have lost all interest in it properly be taken down in the end like everything else it costs money to maintain. I had a look on Manchester Forum very little used it seemed a Mod on their starts threads but seldom get any posts. Even the mighty Sheffield Forum getting less busy only a few regular posters. Leeds Forum had to merge with a local Leeds music forum to keep it going even at that its struggling seems a shame . But like the old saying goes ' every dog has its day'.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »
I had a look on the other Chesterfield Forum yesterday very little used, spam on one thread got a feel of been given up on .Who ever owns it seems to  have lost all interest in it properly be taken down in the end like everything else it costs money to maintain. I had a look on Manchester Forum very little used it seemed a Mod on their starts threads but seldom get any posts. Even the mighty Sheffield Forum getting less busy only a few regular posters. Leeds Forum had to merge with a local Leeds music forum to keep it going even at that its struggling seems a shame . But like the old saying goes ' every dog has its day'.

That's true WCT.
Not been on that forum for a long time so ?
Facebook seems to be the place where people go now. So many groups being set up.
Local history has been a Biggy with many old photo's but I think even they have now quietened down - There are only so many old pictures people can come up with I suppose.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk