Author Topic: Football  (Read 4599 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Football
« on: July 04, 2018, 09:03:16 PM »
Ok come on then, who watches the World Cup and what chances do England have of winning???
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Football
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »
I was told that England are 25/1 to win.
That means, if you put a £10 bet on them,

you'll lose the tenner  :))
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:24:08 PM »
I was told that England are 25/1 to win.
That means, if you put a £10 bet on them,

you'll lose the tenner  :))

I don't bet so won't lose anything.

So - will you watch the match ( or will you be at work? )

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:24:11 PM »
Next match is Saturday. I won't be watching it, but will be keeping an ear on the score (y)
(Well, it is our national team  :) )
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »
A week last Sunday, me and the wife were out on our motorbike. Not really going anywhere, just cruising about, enjoying the fact that the roads were surprisingly quiet.

It was only when we stopped for a cuppa at a cafe, that we realized that the whole nation was watching that ball-kicking contest in Russia.

Personally I find the sport about as fascinating as sand, but I'm really looking forwards to Saturdays game.

We won't be watching it. The UK forecast is for good weather.

Imagine 1437km2 of Peak District. All to ourselves...  >;

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:24:29 PM »
As an ex biker . . . . . . . . . It sounds great  (y)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 05:36:41 PM »
A week last Sunday, me and the wife were out on our motorbike. Not really going anywhere, just cruising about, enjoying the fact that the roads were surprisingly quiet.

It was only when we stopped for a cuppa at a cafe, that we realized that the whole nation was watching that ball-kicking contest in Russia.

Personally I find the sport about as fascinating as sand, but I'm really looking forwards to Saturdays game.

We won't be watching it. The UK forecast is for good weather.

Imagine 1437km2 of Peak District. All to ourselves...  >;

Sounds lovely. i hope you enjoyed it.

Errr Fly - will they bring it home - 2-0  to England not a bad result  ;)

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 11:13:10 PM »

Sounds lovely. i hope you enjoyed it.

We really did, thanks.
Brampton to Matlock, to Darley Dale, to Rowsley, to Beeley, through Chatsworth to Baslow, to Calver, to Stoney Middleton, off through Eyam, and the winding back roads to Owler Bar, then down through Barlow to home. Not a long trip, but enjoyable enough, thanks to warm, dry roads, and hardly another vehicle in sight.

When we got back to Chessie it was obvious from the number of drunken, flag-draped people dancing in the streets, who'd won.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased for England, and love to see them do well.
It's good for the whole country when the national side give us something to be proud of.

Let's just say, I'm really looking forward to missing the semi-final match next weekend... ;)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:15:54 PM by kromercap »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 08:07:16 AM »
Yes a lovely part of Derbyshire where you went kromercap, our favourites.

If we can get parked up we are going to Bakewell today.

Semi Final Wednesday evening I think - we are out -------

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 01:48:10 PM »
I'm with you kromercap, I am not a footy fan not by any stretch of the imagination, my only "vice" as far as wanting to watch sport is on now, Wimbledon, it's only 2 weeks out of the year not like football which seems to be 24/7 365 days of the year.
The beauty of tennis is your "preferences" are for individuals, not their country, I have never been overly enthusiastic about any of our home grown tennis players because I don't think were that good at producing them.
Whatever happened to Winter football season, Summer cricket season.
You can't go into pubs without there being t.v's {sky sports et al} and drunk "fans" here we go here we going, at the tops of their voices.

As for will they win?......I hope they do, because the closer they get to the final the more disappointment if they lose, and we all know the outcome of thousands of drunken fans finding out their team has just been knocked out, it's happened before it will happen again.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »
Another point about the world cup final is that it won't be dominating the TV.

Anyone remember World Cup Willy fever back in the 70's  :)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »
I've noticed that recently football matches have been using "the second ref" if there is a questionable occurrence on the field the ref stops the match and reviews the incident on a t.v. screen so he is able to give the correct decision, some football pundits have hailed it as a breakthrough, JUST WHERE HAVE THESE PEOPLE BEEN FOR THE LAST TWENTY ODD YEARS!!!!!   

They spend millions and millions overpaying these players and putting virtually nothing into improving the game, and this second ref is like a caveman seeing fire for the first time it's pathetic. Football today requires modern thinking, American football has at least SEVEN officials on the pitch at any one time and about 40 cameras scanning the field, little or nothing gets past them. O.k. over the top you might think but the fans very rarely go home saying "We was robbed", Wimbledon, French open et al all have court computers {cyclops,hawkeye} so a "bad" call can be looked at in real time and the correction {if any needed} made, unlike our football ONE referee and two linesmen, all three follow the ball up and down up and down for the WHOLE ninety minutes unlike most of the players, there could be a mass brawl at the other end of the pitch and the officials would be none the wiser till they turn round.

As I mentioned it's not as though football doesn't have the money it does, shed loads of it. There should be two refs, each one refs from the goal mouth up to the half way line, then the other takes over up to the other goal, same with linesmen at least six like pockets on a snooker table and more cameras.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
Loads of money?
The players get it all don't they  ::)

Anyway it's 'not coming home' ----- some are shouting dirty players about the other team - didn't watch it so have no idea if they were or not.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »
Exactly OC. At the moment a lot of what happens on the field goes unnoticed by the officials this is why tempers fray and fans lose their rags they are seeing what the officials SHOULD be seeing and acting accordingly, the above would stamp all that out.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »
Having made my opinion very clear on what I think of football, there was no one more surprised than me when, the other day, I sat down with the wife and we watched the women's team take on the Germans and we watched the WHOLE match...... and enjoyed it!

I've always been sceptical about women in male dominated sports but I have been swayed a little as far as football is concerned. Having said that I doubt I will become an avid fan of the game but none the less having watched the final I was pleasantly surprised.

You still won't sway me as far as say boxing or weightlifting is concerned.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk