Author Topic: Freezing tablet!  (Read 2869 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Freezing tablet!
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »
Firstly, let me set the scene - when I go out, Brockwell is missing its' village idiot!

My tablet (Versus touch tab 8dc) sometimes freezes shortly after powering up, needing a reboot as it is unresponsive. Currently it's running on android 4.1.1 software and, after trawling the web apparently it may help to upgrade of to the latest version (which is 4.3.1). I have downloaded the upgrade guide and all the relative software (drivers - .IMG file etc) now, my question is this, being a 'non-techie' how likely is it that I am going to end up with a rather expensive 'brick'?!

Also, if I do 'brick it' how easy is it to get it usable again?
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

handy

• View Profile
Re: Freezing tablet!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:51:50 PM »
I think this is Flys field of expertise sure he will get back to you
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
Firstly it's virtually impossible to brick it. Though I did brick my old tablet. This was to do with a dodgy USB connection on it.
Part of the flashing process was pressing a serial of buttons on the device. Everytime I picked it up tp press the buttons, it disconnected from the laptop and halted the process. Catch 22, knackered. Hence I bought the Nexus 7  8)

I part bricked the Nexus on my first day of owning it, but got it back up and running in about an hour.  ;)

Step 1. Make sure it's fully charged and connected to the internet.  Goto 'Settings' and press 'About', then press 'System Update'.
That's if that menu option is available. Then get back to me  ;)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 05:48:37 PM »
Firstly it's virtually impossible to brick it. Though I did brick my old tablet. This was to do with a dodgy USB connection on it.
Part of the flashing process was pressing a serial of buttons on the device. Everytime I picked it up tp press the buttons, it disconnected from the laptop and halted the process. Catch 22, knackered. Hence I bought the Nexus 7  8)

I part bricked the Nexus on my first day of owning it, but got it back up and running in about an hour.  ;)

Step 1. Make sure it's fully charged and connected to the internet.  Goto 'Settings' and press 'About', then press 'System Update'.
That's if that menu option is available. Then get back to me  ;)

thanks Fly, there is no 'system update' option within the settings menu, it involves connecting the tablet to a PC running either XP or Windows 7 - my laptop runs Vista, will that work OK? Here is the website for my tablet:

http://versusuk.com/support/downloads/8dc.html

What are your thoughts?
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:55:23 PM »
AFAIK Windows 7 is an enhanced Version of Vista. Software I used to un-brick my Nexus worked with 7 and Vista.
Follow the guide to the letter and give it a go. At least you know the file is from a reputable place and not a dodgy pirate or torrent site.
Make sure it's FULLY charged regardless.
I had problems originally because I wasn't using the 'Proper' USB cable that was shipped with it.
I was using a longer one out of my cupboard. Worked first time with the proper original cable.

Break a leg LOL  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
AFAIK Windows 7 is an enhanced Version of Vista. Software I used to un-brick my Nexus worked with 7 and Vista.
Follow the guide to the letter and give it a go. At least you know the file is from a reputable place and not a dodgy pirate or torrent site.
Make sure it's FULLY charged regardless.
I had problems originally because I wasn't using the 'Proper' USB cable that was shipped with it.
I was using a longer one out of my cupboard. Worked first time with the proper original cable.

Break a leg LOL  ;)

Thanks for that Barry, before I 'take the plunge' I have one more thing to try - I installed 'Ad Block' and wonder if it's that that's 'cocking things up', so I'm going to uninstall that and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help so far..........................to be continued!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
Hubby had lots of probs with his Nexus at first. I decided to uninstall a block of the Apps on it as he didn't use them - that sorted it
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »
You won't hurt nowt trying that first. I haven't got it installed on mine, but was thinking of installing it.
If mine starts freezing at least I'll know what it might be LOL

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
You won't hurt nowt trying that first. I haven't got it installed on mine, but was thinking of installing it.
If mine starts freezing at least I'll know what it might be LOL

Glad to be of help!!!

Being serious, since uninstalling it, the tablet seems to b behaving itself. It also seems a bit more responsive too - finger crossed!

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 05:35:30 PM »
Update - Not wishing to tempt fate, but, since uninstalling the 'Ad-blocker' app, my tablet has worked OK. Indeed it seems quicker loading apps/browser etc.

Fingers still remaining crossed!!!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 05:43:20 PM »
Therefore I may not even bother trying Adblock on my tablet.
I can live with a few ads  ;)

Glad it's running OK  :)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
Update - tablet been running OK since removing adblocker app, today I went into settings to turn Google sync off - as I no longer use Chrome (or Firefox) as they are rather slow (now use Dolphin browser, much quicker to use).

Went into Chrome to check all sync settings had been set to off and' guess what ?............... My tablet froze! Looks like Chrome was another suspect!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
That's strange. I use Chrome for browsing the net in general, and Firefox for Facebook. (Refreshes faster than Chrome ?)
Not had problems with either, wonder if that's cos my tablet is basically made for Google ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk