General Category > Politics

The whitest of white elephants

(1/2) > >>

Sorastro:
It all started in 2010, some bright visionary thought up HS2  this miracle of the age was very quickly approved and fully costed at £31 billion {a hefty some even then}

By the time 2015 came round HS2 was already beset by many problems, with calls for it to be scrapped, these calls were ignored and it was re costed to about £57 billion.

Now in 2023 and not even half completed it has had another audit and the new sum is £97 billion {and counting} if by some miracle they could complete it without more problems the total bill will be somewhere in the region of £106 billion.
Monetarily it will take the country DECADES to recoup the money even before anyone sees any benefit. Just think how they could have improved the WHOLE of Britain's rail system with only half that amount.

smithy266:
They were very busy with HUGE cranes near Lichfield when I was down there last weekend...

Sorastro:
It would appear the building work for the new Euston station has been mothballed. Work has ceased at Old oak common, the last stop before reaching Euston {due to funding problems, big surprise} so they are not sure if it will continue.

So in readiness, should it re start, they are planning to "bury" two huge boring machines at O.o.k. ready to go into action straight away if or when necessary. This pause could be anything up to two years or then again not at all.

Sorastro:

--- Quote from: Sorastro on August 12, 2023, 11:50:52 AM ---Now in 2023 and not even half completed it has had another audit and the new sum is £97 billion {and counting} if by some miracle they could complete it without more problems the total bill will be somewhere in the region of £106 billion.
Monetarily it will take the country DECADES to recoup the money even before anyone sees any benefit. Just think how they could have improved the WHOLE of Britain's rail system with only half that amount.

--- End quote ---

I heard that one wag in government, upon hearing about the discussion concerning the cost and delays on the London to Birmingham line, was heard to remark:-
"It would have been cheaper, and quicker, to move Birmingham lock stock and barrel to just outside London". I think he may have a point!!           

Sorastro:
According to the news when the London to Birmingham phase is complete the government are going to throw in the towel.

So the North will lose out again, all that dosh just to see absolutely nothing happening. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this was a stupid idea from the get go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version