Author Topic: Blacklisting your mobile  (Read 1408 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Blacklisting your mobile
« on: October 02, 2014, 01:19:56 PM »
I suppose the savvy members will already know of this but I didn't so thought I would share it for others who like me didn't know.

Local officers would like to ask residents and businesses to record the IMEI number from their phone in case it is ever lost or stolen

The unique number is used by a phone network to identify valid devices and therefore can be used for stopping a phone from accessing that network. For example, if a mobile phone is stolen, the owner can call their network provider and instruct them to "blacklist" the phone using its IMEI number. This renders the phone useless on that network and sometimes other networks too, whether or not the phone's SIM is changed.

The IMEI numbers can be found in several ways; sometimes the number may be on the back of the phone, it may be on the battery or in certain models the number will be recorded on the SIM tray. You can also find the IMEI number of the phone if it is still switched on by dialling *#06#.

You can register this number through www.immobilise.com who will keep your details and can enable the police to trace the owner of any recovered phone.

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

simondjuk

• View Profile
Re: Blacklisting your mobile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
I know this as i deal with the broken mobiles and Blackberrys that come back from the council.

However, ive dealt with thousands of these and have never ever seen an IMEI number on the battery.  Seems a daft place to even put one as if the battery was ever replaced, the IMEI number would change and not match the phone so potentially it couldnt work.

It is a good idea though for it to be registered and even though your provider can tell exactly what make, model and IMEI number of the device you are using.

Im my opinion, get it registered.  I will as my phone is new and worth a bob or two.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

spuclassic

Re: Blacklisting your mobile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »

I like it very much. I feel it is very useful to the reader. I'm reading a lot of new knowledge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk