Author Topic: EURO 2012  (Read 11334 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: EURO 2012
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
Danny's dad, Stan.
Stan'd' well back'beck' Bomb disposal .
I hope your taking the p1ss, or hitting yourself in the forehead with a fork  Yp

:-[ :-[ :-[ (fork marks on forehead) Doh!  :(
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »
well we made a complete 'Ash of the penalty shoot out!!!!!
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 06:32:02 AM »
Someone asked me a prediction earler in the day and I said defeat on penalties. Why didn't I pit a bet on? Doh!

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
I called every penalty last night just by looking at the faces of the players as they walked forward. You could tell the ones who had doubt. (Actually I got one slightly wrong, I said Young would put his over the bar!!)

So team for the next qualifier.
If you are looking to a team that can play in 2014 then Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Parker, Ferdinand , Lampard, Barry and probably Defoe have got to be overlooked.
I doubt however that Woy will impload the team in one go so I suspect the first 4 named above will be in that team (unless of course by then Terry is in a prison cell!!)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »
Why didn't I pit a bet on? Doh!

You been watching too much 'Allo Allo'?
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
Woy says we can take positives.
"I think we have done well to come through the tournament without losing a match in normal time at least. True but as the 6th best team in the world we scrapped a draw against the 14th, were lucky to beat the 17th and were goal line technology away from drawing with the 52nd. and to put that into prospective 52 is lower than such power houses as Wales Scotland, Armenia, Peru, Libya and Iran!
"There are good young players. We are doing well at under-21 level True, in the main because Stuart Pearce has them playing attacking football. But out of the last 4 U21 Tournament squads only 4 players made it into last nights starting 11. One of those was Scott Parker from the 2002 squad!
"We defended well throughout but could have attacked better."   Really? So whose tactics were they that told them to defend then?

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
To be fair Jon, and I'm no expert, but when he got the job all the pundits I read said he didn't have enough time to do his thing in time for EURO 2012.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
Correct thats exactly what all his friends in the media were saying because they all knew dam well that we were heading for dour defensive performances that would end up in failure when we came across a half decent team.
As I've said before he sets up his teams not to lose, he'd rather win 1-0 than 5-4 he'd rather lose 1-0 without trying to win than 3-0 trying to win.
To put his 'success' into context he has a win %age over his 30 odd year management career of 43%. Cappello's is 57%. Errikson's is 51%. Even the Wally with the brolly Steve McLaren is 44%.
Really 'succesful' managers like Mourinho (69%) Ferguson (58%) Guardiola (72%) Paisley (58%) send their teams out to win.

To give you more idea the top sides in the English premier league last year averaged approx 13 attempts on goal per game with 8 of them being on target.
The worst team averaged 6 and 2
England who remember didn't play a team ranked anywhere above them averaged 9 and 4.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Maybe he was picked because at WBA & Fulham he turned average players into teams hard to beat. An England manager can't get his cheque book out and buy the best players in the world like the top 4 or 5 Premiership teams can. How many top strikers and goalkeepers in England are English? Says it all when the reserve goalkeeper is not even first choice for a Championship team and spent last season on loan in League 2.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »
Thats the point though Andy. A team hard to beat. Hard to beat by their main rivals ie the Swansea Norwich Everton Stokes of this world. Not hard to beat for either Manchester club or Chelsea or Arsenal or Spurs.
At the European championships he had on ranking the 4th best team in the tournament.
So he was the equivalent of Spurs.
He drew with France (Stoke)
Only just Defeated Sweden (QPR)
Struggled to beat Ukraine (someone mid ranking from Div 1)
Then get outplayed and knocked out by Italy (Norwich)

He was picked because a) people were clamouring for an English manager and b) he was seen as a better alternative for the FA than Rednapp.
The reserve keeper is from such low levels because others rated above them refuse to go and sit on the bench with zero chance of playing.
Spain have played most of the tournament without a recognised striker (even when Ladyboy was on the pitch) Fact it you need attacking intent and we didn't have any.
We've got Montenegro Ukraine and Poland in the world cup qualifying. If we go there to defend we are going to struggle.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
Bit harsh on Italy, they held their own with Spain. I predict a German win.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 11:53:40 PM »
What's the difference between Roy Hodgson playing an attacking formation for England and a Scottish distilled liquor?

One of them's wisky. The other one's a Scottish distilled liquor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk