Author Topic: Is this really a caring NHS?  (Read 1492 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Is this really a caring NHS?
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »
Mother-in-law, aged 92, discharged from hospital last week after a fall.

Not sure what was wrong with her, as we've been told "Stroke - Dementia - Water Infection - Chest Infection"!  :o

Is it like the lottery and we pick the winning complaint?

Anyroad (Derbyshire-ism) she's been discharged and has a carer to get her up in the morning, shower her and get her breakfast............all this in the space of ½ hour!!

She has a shed-load of tablets to take (3 times a day) and these are in a 'handy' dispenser (which she can't get in to!). I have left a note for the carer to supervise/advise her on taking the tablets (I am aware that they cannot physically give them to her). THREE TIMES now, when we've called in, she's cocked up!

1. She hadn't taken any as she couldn't get them out of the pack

2. She'd taken the night-time ones instead of morning ones

3. She'd taken the morning AND night-time ones!

God help me when I get old(er)!  >:(
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

k4blades

Re: Is this really a caring NHS?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
No, its not good.
I think most of the carers do their best, but they can only do so much. We had similar problems with my mum a few years back and it was a constant worry about hert pills, but the best help she got was when she went into a hospice, all the staff there were brilliant and helped her 'till she passed away peacefully. I hope your MIL is better soon though.

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »
Been there, done that.
I know it sounds crap, but the best thing we did was put mum into a residential home.
Granted it costs over £1,900 a month but it is worth it.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
Shower call I would think a minimum of 30 minutes and the rest I would have though another 15 minutes - so 45 mins.
We had the same problem with my mum last year re medication and have had to take this out of her control, it's difficult when care staff only go in once a day though. My mum now gets twice a day - but I had to fight for it!  :(
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk