Author Topic: Opposition to demolition plans on Sheffield Road.  (Read 1705 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Opposition to demolition plans on Sheffield Road.
« on: September 10, 2016, 06:29:51 PM »
Another Whit Moor related news . Lidi are wanting to make their car park bigger this will involve the demolition of two shops on Sheffield Road and two semi houses on the road before before reaching Lidi. The semis are next to the main car park entrance . However some locals are not convinced that Lidi needs the extra car parking space and questions the effect of the demolition will have on local business and how the area will look after the demolition. Their are two planning notices and one about the opposition to the plans. Sometimes we pop in Lidi on my way to Newbold can't say ever had an issue with getting a car parking space and its quite big unless we miss peak time so can't really say if this scheme is needed?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Opposition to demolition plans on Sheffield Road.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
So if the locals get their way, and Lidl aren't granted the permission to demolish the 4 properties, I wonder what will happen to them. Left to rot, surely that will be an even bigger eyesore. Also, how would it affect local businesses.

I'll see if I can get our forum member 'pureparty' to comment on this.
Wasn't one of the properties his/hers ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 08:31:56 PM »
Are Lidl planning to extend the shop?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

pureparty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
I believe that Lidl are expanding the shop (bakery section), encroaching onto the existing carpark, hence needing more space for carparking.

They actually wanted the whole row of shops, from the hairdressers through to the Led light shop around the corner on Avenue Road. The chemist refused to sell, the dentist considered it but couldn't find alternative premises and our landlord sold us to Lidl (Party shop, Hairdressers)

If Lidl hadn't bought the buildings then I know that both businesses would still be in situ. Both have relocated, one further up Sheffield Road, and one (us) have merged into their larger shop in the town centre.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 10:56:50 PM »
Hi pureparty, thanks for taking the time to drop by and share this info.
Seems a shame you had to close down, I know your shop had been there for a few years  :(

Can you see the locals objection having any effect with the council ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

pureparty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 11:01:29 PM »
We'd been there over ten years and even though we bought out the competition in the town centre last year, we had planned on keeping the shop running, we are mid way through a six year lease... 

There are a few objections I've seen, namely around the proposed location of the new loading bay and associated noise etc.. Who knows what sort of impact they'll have. A few promises from Lidl regarding times etc and I reckon it'll get passed, I'm sure Lidl made enquiries prior to spending the hundreds of thousands they did in buying the properties they plan on demolishing..

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
Lidi bakery is one of its strong selling points you have to be quick to get anything soon runs out. Lidi is not as busy as Aldi further down the road and never seen the car park full to point theirs no space. Didn't the chemist shop used to be a motorbike shop years ago?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk