Author Topic: Digital TV Signal dodgy  (Read 3340 times)

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
Digital TV Signal dodgy
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:14:11 PM »
Can anyone throw some light on what is becoming a real nuisance to us?  Our BBC channels intermittently break up and become pixellated for hours on end.  Another time they are absolutely fine.

Husband bought what he thought was a stronger booster but that didn't seem to have any effect.  We've had a new aerial, and also had that repositioned.  We tune on a regular basis, but are now at a loss what action to take next.

Can anyone offer up advice please?  :-?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Digital TV Signal dodgy
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 05:40:18 PM »
We have had problems with 'freezing' for short bursts ( so has daughter ) on al channels.

Yours sounds worse than ours - sorry though I can't help as to what's wrong  :(
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:04:58 PM »
From the internet. Just something I didn't know.
Out of interest, why does using an HDMI cable mess with the signal?
    The very-high-/ultra-high-/ super-high frequency carriers for the digital signals inside a poorly-screened hdmi cable can be cross-coupled into poorly screened TV aerial cables.

The specific frequencies can change depending on the signals being passed (video resolution etc.,.) and can interfere with the wanted received UHF television multiplex frequency (especially as the aerial signal is of a low level).

Which is why sometimes a simple re-make of a dodgy aerial connection can fix things; or moving the two cables further apart will; or replacing one or other lead will.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »
Thanks for that Fly.  I showed Mr Gert and he understood that straight away.  i think its something he'll be trying tomorrow.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

(y)

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:53 PM »
Our BBC channes are ok today but commercial channels a nightmare

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
Well, we tried the suggestions from various recommendations from the internet, but its not much better.  Got aerial bloke coming back on Friday  :(

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
Well, we tried the suggestions from various recommendations from the internet, but its not much better.  Got aerial bloke coming back on Friday  :(

Tell the aerial guy you might have a friend that needs a new cable fitting from his aerial to the front room.
I was quoted £40ish last year but never had it done. I part cut through the cable pruning my bush the year before  :))

Honest, being serious  (y)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »
Mr Gert has finally solved the problem.  It's my mobile phone that's been causing the bother.  We didn't get the aerial guy in after all.  Just bought a £7 3G/4G Filter from Sainsbury's. Months of anguish gone!  ;D

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »
Nice one Gerty. Cheers for sharing the outcome. One to bear in mind should probs arise  :)

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 10:39:28 PM »
I have to say Fly, we bought this filter not really knowing if it would work. But for £7 it was worth a try. To say we are gobsmacked at its success is an understatement  :o

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »
How does that work gerty???

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 04:37:11 PM »
I'm not too sure about how it works Pam.  It seems to be blocking my mobile phone signal's interference with the TV, primarily the BBC channels.  It's not messing with my phone in any way so it looks like its a success.  There hasn't been an issue with the Beeb channels since the filter was installed.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »
Ok thanks Gerty, ours is just a general signal problem. It can be a pain the bum at times

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk