Author Topic: Did anyone ever actually use Tesco's late night shopping?  (Read 1837 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Did anyone ever actually use Tesco's late night shopping?
« on: January 29, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
Four shops in Derbyshire affected.

I never could see the reasons for the 24 hour opening and suspect it only benefited a minority -
Would I really want to be bothered turning out in the early hours to do my shop - not a chance!
 Looks like Tesco's are taking their belts in some more.

Shoppers may no longer be able to make late-night shopping runs to Tesco after the supermarket giant announced plans to scrap 24-hour openings at one in four of its biggest stores.

A total of 76 stores - including four in Derbyshire - will now revert back to shutting at midnight after Tesco bosses conceded it is not doing enough trade during the night and the concept is financially damaging the firm.

Tesco has confirmed the 24 hour Derbyshire stores to have their hours changed will be Clay Cross Extra, Clowne Superstore, Glossop Superstore and Derby Mickleover Superstore.

The cutback comes as Tesco supremo boss Dave Lewis attempts to win back customers who have flocked to discount supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl.

It is not yet clear which stores make up the 76 which will be scrapping 24-hour shopping. The move to reduce the number of 24-hour stores comes 20 years after the first Tesco opened through the night.

In London, Tesco’s Lewisham superstore and Woolwich Extra store will end overnight shopping in March or April. Around 300 stores will remain open 24 hours, but could be shut overnight if they too are unsustainable.

Tony Hoggett, retail director for Tesco, said: “We’re always thinking about how to serve our customers better in each of our stores and with the growth of online grocery shopping, these stores saw very few customers during the night. It makes much more sense for colleagues at those stores to focus on replenishing the shelves instead and making sure they’re fully stocked when they open at 6am
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone ever actually use Tesco's late night shopping?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »
I've known a few drivers from our place go there after work on lates for bits.
Apart from that, the honest answer from me is no. :-\
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:50:20 PM »
I've been in around 3am (on way back from being with father in law at hospital some years ago) and I was the only customer among a lot of shelf stackers with their cages who were replenishing the shelves.  Someone had to open a check out for me!

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:30 PM »
Never understood the logic in been open until late at night. In a city like Sheffield you would encounter  problems for the staff I suppose it was great if you suffered from insomnia through.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »
Never understood the logic in been open until late at night. In a city like Sheffield you would encounter  problems for the staff I suppose it was great if you suffered from insomnia through.

Yes, it would pass the night rather than sitting in front of the telly. :)

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »
Ashamed to say that in a previous life I used it on several occasions. No need nowadays as I don't need booze or fags.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »
Me and Our_Lass are still off the fags mycul. 3 1/2 years now.
Also now I think about it, I once did drive to a 24hr petrol station for fags. Thankfully, since Tesco etc have been 24hr, I'd always had a stock of bacca in the house LOL  ;D
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk