Author Topic: Prices!  (Read 1199 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Prices!
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:33:52 PM »
Let's face it we live in a country were everything is top wack and 20% VAT has put many out of business. Prices need to fall and VAT needs slashing to promote economic recovery as things are now its only a matter of time before the most basics are out of reach to all and no amount of money will be enough to cover living costs. Globally things have got more expensive too it seems a impossible puzzle to solve or is it?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
Re: Prices!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »
Let's face it we live in a country were everything is top wack and 20% VAT has put many out of business. Prices need to fall and VAT needs slashing to promote economic recovery as things are now its only a matter of time before the most basics are out of reach to all and no amount of money will be enough to cover living costs. Globally things have got more expensive too it seems a impossible puzzle to solve or is it?

I'm not sure if there's any answer I can offer, except that talking with friends today who's son and family live in Perth, Western Australia revealed how much greater the cost of living there is, compared to the UK.  Utilities, and especially food.  Stuff we take for granted such as fruit and veg just doesn't get grown much in WA and has to be transported in at great cost.  I shan't moan about Sainsbury's again after that conversation!  Mind you I get most of mine from Aldi  ;D

Check out the prices on this shopping list.........https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/perth-australia

You can convert the currency into £'s and once done, you can see how eye-wateringly expensive stuff is.  For example...(note, I don't smoke) a pack of Marlborough's is £13!!!!  Or a pint of beer in a local pub is £4.72.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:26:56 PM by Gerty Gumdrop »

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
I think I will pass on living in Australia then! 
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:34:55 PM »
We have to save our income wherever and on whatever we can.
When things get tough we sit and re-think how we can help our budget stretch
We generally can to a certain extent, as Gerty says Lidl or Aldi are one way also shop around for the best Utility company for you.
We have save this year on Utility bills by changing from British Gas to OVO and my daughter's utility bill has nearly halved after I changed her to EDF.
Rents, Mortgages etc are a different thing altogether and many have lost their homes during this governments reign dictatorship.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk