Author Topic: Derbyshire Times article about moaning Chesterfieldian's  (Read 3838 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Derbyshire Times article about moaning Chesterfieldian's
« on: February 17, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »
A reporter has done a survey on what people think of Chesterfield . The people who answered the questions have said they have seen a decline and the market is not what it used to be. In fairness Chesterfield is doing a bit better than most I recently had to go to Mansfield their is a lot more empty shops their and one part was pretty run down . The other concern was undesirables hanging around by the New Beetwell Street saga its not to bad I know you can't compair a town and city but aside of Sheffield which is becoming a drug and gun hell Chesterfield much more quieter . So what do you think of the town both good and bad points?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

emmz

• View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Times article about moaning Chesterfieldian's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »
most towns have their good and bad points.
The only part i find increasingly uncomfortable is the new beetwell street bus stops...i don't use them so much now but its not a nice place to be.
My daughter is 7 and is very proud to be a chesterfieldian..loves the crooked spire as she has been up there too, so feels honoured in someway,
I like the town and feel at home. It's part of who i am and where i am from plus i love the history!

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
most towns have their good and bad points.
The only part i find increasingly uncomfortable is the new beetwell street bus stops...i don't use them so much now but its not a nice place to be.
My daughter is 7 and is very proud to be a chesterfieldian..loves the crooked spire as she has been up there too, so feels honoured in someway,
I like the town and feel at home. It's part of who i am and where i am from plus i love the history!
I agree completely with everything you said Emmz - I love Chesterfield & it's background & culture.
Proud to be a Cestrefeldian ;) (y)
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:24:44 AM »
I really like Chesterfield and being from here.....its a great mix of a good town yet within minutes you can be out in the Peak District and its like a different world. I hear a lot of folk moaning about the place and saying its bad, horrible etc and how they cant wait to move elsewhere....my response has always been the grass isnt always greener. Yes we have some issues and some iffy parts but no more than any other town of our size.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »
I wouldn't want to move from the area either, despite the decline in retail and Market, although I do believe if the Market stall scattered around other areas it would be pretty much full?

Chatting with a friend friend darn South who tells me no one really speaks to anyone not even a smile and 'good morning'

We may have Ducks up here but I like Ducks!!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

pinfold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 07:41:16 PM »
 As a newcomer I fully agree with all of your comments!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:02:18 PM »
I went onto the 'Spotted Mansfield' facebook page. Seems Chesterfield isn't on it's own. People on there are having the same old rants about Mansfield. Market, parking, empty shops, bla bla.
I guess it's country wide, not a local thing.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
I think the general thing is that some folk just like to have a moan and social media gives them a very good platform to do it endlessly!!

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »
Even if everything just happened to be perfect, someone would still have a gripe :))

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 08:26:38 PM »
I would start improving by, Tarmacking over the cobbles, Straightening  that wonky Spire, gather all the straggled Market stalls and putting them back in the main square, enforce community service for those loitering around town causing problems. Make the multi storey which leads into the precinct more Blue Badge and increase the mobility scooters, wheelchairs and also Segways for for those with walking problems - and ban parking in the town centre ( that should free up the problem of parking around the Town Hall )
Get rid of some charity shops and put in childrens clothes , music and shoe shops in their place. 

Ok that's me done - vote for OC  :P

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
I would start improving by, Tarmacking over the cobbles, Straightening  that wonky Spire, gather all the straggled Market stalls and putting them back in the main square, enforce community service for those loitering around town causing problems. Make the multi storey which leads into the precinct more Blue Badge and increase the mobility scooters, wheelchairs and also Segways for for those with walking problems - and ban parking in the town centre ( that should free up the problem of parking around the Town Hall )
Get rid of some charity shops and put in childrens clothes , music and shoe shops in their place. 

Ok that's me done - vote for OC  :P
Legend >;

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 10:22:19 PM »
Oh no, you'd turn us into Benidorn  ::)
Then again, if you can guarantee the same weather  8)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 10:38:31 AM »
Oh no, you'd turn us into Benidorn  ::)
Then again, if you can guarantee the same weather  8)

Benidorm - I would be Madge and tell our crap weather to F@@@ off  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk