Author Topic: Open letter to Chesterfield council housing department. Wardens  (Read 3574 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Dear Chesterfield council housing department,

From the end of February 2016 all wardens will be finished who are currently employed to work in shelter accomdation. I have a grandmother who lives in shelter accomdation due to age and a disability needs support and I'm sure others who live in her block have varying needs . When my grandmother first went to live in shelter accomdation the warden actually lived on the premises and their was social activities but over time the wardens hours were cut down and the social group was ended leaving many isolated as some people who live in their don't families to visit them. As so often the case many came to know the warden as a friend and many wardens often did more for their residents than was called for. I do understand that central government has cut funding and many cuts have fallen on the most in need but I think the removal of the wardens is a mistake and will cost more in the long term. The whole idea of shelter accomdation was supported living for over 55 year olds the concept was welcomed by senior community as a way to remain independent and help at hand if needed. The one recent change as been people age below 55 are been allowed to live in sheltered accomdation why has their been a change of policy ? The removal of wardens creates safety issues what happens if a resident falls down and cannot call Care Line who are based at Barrow Hill the resident could be on the floor of their flat for days? With the no warden to keep check on the wellbeen of the residents and a resident pass away and no one  about to notice what then sadly dead people can't operate Care Line? Another situation is a residents health changes due to a illness like Dementia if a warden is about they can call in then a doctor who undertakes a assessment to decided if that person needs either more care or placing in a retirement home. I can tell you since the council declared its  intension to do away wardens theirs been much anxiety among residents and their families who are really concerned about this change. I ask their should be a rethink on this desion that will effect lives across the Chesterfield area .
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Open letter to Chesterfield council housing department. Wardens
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:44:47 PM »
Am I wrong in thinking that the £55 million pounds A DAYwe send to the EU could be better spent  elsewhere?
I don't particularly wan't to spark a political debate (*) - but I also hate seeing cuts in virtually everything we have took for granted in the past.
We are - or were, a proud nation who looked after the vulnerable people in our society.
I'm at a loss to understand that, as supposedly one of the richest countries in the world, we are going backwards in standards across almost everything.
Local councils are squeezed every year on expenditure. Yes, they can cut costs by becoming more business effective, but they can only go so far.
*You can make your own minds up in the referendum about the EU - likely date June23rd.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
Or spending money on a new sports centre  why wasn't the old one refitted?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »
WCT - is this a letter you have written to the housing Dept?

This has been on the cards for awhile now and I seem to remember a member  expressing their concerns,if I remember correctly they had a relative living in a warden controlled home.

Addressing the problem of someone falling I can suggest Tunstall who operate fall detectors. These pendants can be worn around a persons neck and operate by the person needing assistance pressing the button on the pendant, there is also a device which clips to trousers/skirts and if the person wearing it takes a fall the device will activate as soon as the person hits the floor. Bed sensors are also available. These are used by Derbyshire.

The 2014 Care Act should now be in operation and The Well-being of people needing support should be addressed - Social Services are currently sending out field workers to re-assess people and if you know of a person who hasn't yet had an assessment call the social services to check if that person is eligible.

The two above suggestions are not the answer though but would help a little.

As scimitar says we are 'supposed' to be one of the richer countries in the World - not sure who's pocket it's all going in though!

http://www.tunstall.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:13:38 PM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:14:06 PM »
Our_Lass's Aunty has a pendant alarm type thing. Thankfully she can afford to pay the council for it.
I fear not all old people can  :(
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:22:19 PM »
Our_Lass's Aunty has a pendant alarm type thing. Thankfully she can afford to pay the council for it.
I fear not all old people can  :(

Off hand I can't remember the monthly subscription but I don't think it's a lot.

I also forgot to say that a land line telephone needs to be in the property to use the pendants.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »
Works out about £180 a year.
She's never got it round her neck when we call either  :-X
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 09:38:22 PM »
my mum was a bit like that Fly - memory problems!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 09:48:26 PM »
Aunty's just awkward, trust me LOL  ;D
Stuck in her ways. Family made her get it. She doesn't want it  :-*

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 10:04:28 PM »
my mum was a bit like that Fly - memory problems!

Just like my mum in law, bless her.  She used it well at first, but as her dementia progressed she got more forgetful and it was never round her neck when she needed it.   :(

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 10:24:18 PM »
Aunty received a letter with this years price increase. It's going to be £6.99 a week from April  :o
The £180 I quoted was an 'un'educated guess  :-X

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
WCT - is this a letter you have written to the housing Dept?

This has been on the cards for awhile now and I seem to remember a member  expressing their concerns,if I remember correctly they had a relative living in a warden controlled home.

Addressing the problem of someone falling I can suggest Tunstall who operate fall detectors. These pendants can be worn around a persons neck and operate by the person needing assistance pressing the button on the pendant, there is also a device which clips to trousers/skirts and if the person wearing it takes a fall the device will activate as soon as the person hits the floor. Bed sensors are also available. These are used by Derbyshire.

The 2014 Care Act should now be in operation and The Well-being of people needing support should be addressed - Social Services are currently sending out field workers to re-assess people and if you know of a person who hasn't yet had an assessment call the social services to check if that person is eligible.

The two above suggestions are not the answer though but would help a little.

As scimitar says we are 'supposed' to be one of the richer countries in the World - not sure who's pocket it's all going in though!

http://www.tunstall.co.uk/
Yes I raised concerns about this change with the council , my late mate had a relative in shelter accommodation he may posted something about it.

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »
Aunty received a letter with this years price increase. It's going to be £6.99 a week from April  :o
The £180 I quoted was an 'un'educated guess  :-X
That's on top of rent remember plus their bills something going to missed out - food, heating?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk