General Category > Chesterfield Discussion

Recycling

(1/5) > >>

Umpire:
Some months ago I left some small batteries in  a plastic  bag  tied to my blue bin  for recycling.When the binmen  came  one of them ripped the bag off the bin and just threw them straight into the bin.I rang the council and told them and they said they should be handed to the driver.I left it at that.
Today when they came I had some glass bottles  which I duly left in the insert provide on the pavement next to my blue bin.One of them promptly tipped them into my bin and then they were tipped into the waggon with all the rest.There is a blue bin attached to the waggon which all glass should  go into.I rang the council and they confirmed i  had  acted correctly.She promised to inform her manager. JI am a avid recycler but it makes you wonder whether its worth it.         

hifimad:
even better i am sure we have all heard of people being fined for dropping sometimes a cigarette end or a shopping reciept in the street, i have lost count of the times the bin men have been to collect the bins and strewn our street with rubbish ranging from used nappies to papers and even an old chicken carcass, i am more than aware that the council is prepared to turn a blind eye to their own rule breaking, and they will even go so far as to lie, ignore and cover up serious and violent crimes by their own employees.

bransoj:
I used to put glass at the side then watched each time as the black box was tipped into the blue bin which was then shoved in the truck. Since our black box got broken by them wedging it back in the bin i just chuck everything in the blue bin and be done with it.

Then dont get me started on how bins are left after they are done....when we used to be on Heaton Street it was almost impossible to walk down the pavement as bins were all over the place, you wouldnt have a chance with a pushchair or in a wheelchair then our bin was actually taken from outside our house, emptied and then left 30yds round the corner on Church Street! Now we've moved its not so much the pavement thats blocked but every few weeks i have to move the empty bin from blocking the drive when i get home.

Tarzan:
I no longer bother with the black box, because almost every time i put it out, i had to go looking for it.  It would either disappear completely, end up in someone elses bin, or be left on the pavement  about 30 yards  down the road. I must have ordered about 3 new ones from the council since they were introduced due to them not returning it to my bin !
I now put the glass in a strong bag & take them to sainsburys recycling bins if i know i'm going that way.

Alsatian:
I'm fed up with them mishandling the black glass caddy and breaking it! I've had to order a replacement on several occasions and, the last time we had one delivered, the operative said they been put on overtime, as they had that many to replace!!!
Apart from the financial cost (which must be exorbitant) doesn't the fact that so many of them have to be replaced, fly in the face of the recycling ethos?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version