Author Topic: Bilingual children  (Read 781 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Bilingual children
« on: May 20, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »
Now I'm all for anyone being able to speak another language especially when holidaying abroad {ahh! yes I remember}
Just ordering drinks and food in say Spain maybe alright but it helps if you can speak Spanish even fairly well or any other language for that matter.

I was in Lidl the other day browsing {as is my won't} and on two separate occasions I passed young mothers with young children and they were talking to the children obviously in their native tongue. I don't know these people but I would suspect the young children were born here in this country {maybe their mothers were} and I appreciate them learning their native tongue, but If the children are English? and they have made a life here and so will grow into British citizens with British customs and laws then why, it would appear, constantly talk to them in whatever language it was. I even realise they will possibly at some time visit relatives "back home" who may not speak English but to constantly use another language when all around are British I find slightly off putting.
It's the same thing with adults, whenever people of another nationality speak to one another they use their native tongue, even if they have lived here years and/or born here, o.k. maybe it might be easier for them but for me I find it a little unnerving when you walk within earshot and they suddenly change languages......Apparently some Welsh do that a lot with tourists.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Bilingual children
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 11:46:56 AM »
Actually that I find is rude.
Should I be in another country taking a holiday I would expect it but should I go and live in that country I would think it as good manners when out to speak in the local tongue but revert to English whilst in my home
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
I used to work with some Italians here in Chesterfield. They often used to chat & joke in their own language,which i found to be rather uncomfortable at first, but they did it so often that i made the effort to understand most of what they were chatting about. I didn't let on that i understood most of it & To be fair though they weren't saying anything nasty, or offensive towards anyone else, .. as far as i could understand !  :)

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 08:18:11 AM »
my sister married a Welshman....and when they had kids, they spoke Welsh as a first language...on visits to them, it was like being in a prisoner of war camp!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk