Author Topic: Covid - 19  (Read 22024 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Covid - 19
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2020, 12:44:20 AM »
Comparing Cancer to the common cold is quite a good scenario (y)
There are over 100,000 known common cold 'bugs'.
Everyone catches a dose of a 1, 2 ...... 100+ of these bugs at a time. 'A cold' now and again.
Therefore there are 38,955,840 combinations of common cold.
A cure for one might do sod all for the other.

That's the fight with cancer
It's not in gods hands.
It's fact. It kills people. slow or quickly, it has no mercy.

I hope all the forum members who read this are well (y)
Just to update you all, the step son and mother in law, are both diagnosed terminal,
and all the family members are willing them to be here for the next x+ Christmases or so.

Welcome to my world  :-X  (y)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2020, 09:24:53 PM »
Ditto Fly.
I've lived with the threat over my head for my daughter for over 20years. Sometimes they get it wrong but it's still there - lurking.
Unlike my youngest brother who didn't survive, his was swift
One day maybe they will find that magical all round cure = maybe -----
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »
The Government making it compulsory for the wearing of face masks for shoppers, shoppers not adhering to the rule could be find up to £100.
As usual no one is policing this, and who's job is it anyway?

The police can't {or won't} police it, the shops staff aren't enforcing it, we were in Morrisons at Staveley yesterday and saw no fewer than 3 people without masks {all o.a.p.'s} and not being challenged by the staff. They had a member of staff on the entrance counting you in, I would have thought that people not wearing masks would be challenged and either refused access or supplied with a mask. They had an ordinary member of staff on the entrance and a security guard on the exit, I would have thought swapping them round would have been better, at least security does have a modicum of authority about them. Obviously Morrisons like the other big supermarkets are frightened to death to upset {and possibly lose customers } so let it slide but it shouldn't happen. The excuse of "Well I have asthma and can't wear one" doesn't hold water with me, the wife and I have had asthma for 40 years but that doesn't stop us abiding by the rules. I hate wearing a mask and so does the wife, but we do.

What would this supermarket do if through their "negligence" their staff and customers got infected and had to close down for the foreseeable future, it would cost them more than refusing entry to a few dozen people not wearing masks. Anyone walking into shops not wearing a mask has no intention of wearing one, obviously a law unto themselves, so they should have their groceries delivered or start being turned away from ALL the shops till they get the message. 

If we don't start enforcing these safety measures we will never be free of lockdown.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2020, 06:08:50 PM »
I believe Boris is trumpeting the fact that Britain is testing more people than anywhere else in the E.U.

If true, and I believe it is, the reason could be very simple, most other countries got a grip of Covid from the outset so managed to control it better and keep a lid on it, in other words whilst we were umming and arring over what to do in the middle of March, other E.U. countries had rolled their sleeves up and got stuck in, because of this one such country is doing less than 1000 tests a day. Their citizens have access to a great app that, when used, determines if they need a test or not, if they do they can get one just by booking an appointment with their local G.P.

Someone I know went to Clay Cross hospital the other day with an unrelated illness, but was advised to still get a Covid test done as a precaution...

A/  She wasn't offered one at the hospital {whilst already there}

B/  Once home she rang up for a home testing kit just to be told there are none available.

C/   Apparently the nearest testing station to us is in OLDHAM!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2020, 07:14:46 PM »
The Government making it compulsory for the wearing of face masks for shoppers, shoppers not adhering to the rule could be find up to £100.
As usual no one is policing this, and who's job is it anyway?

The police can't {or won't} police it, the shops staff aren't enforcing it, we were in Morrisons at Staveley yesterday and saw no fewer than 3 people without masks {all o.a.p.'s} and not being challenged by the staff. They had a member of staff on the entrance counting you in, I would have thought that people not wearing masks would be challenged and either refused access or supplied with a mask. They had an ordinary member of staff on the entrance and a security guard on the exit, I would have thought swapping them round would have been better, at least security does have a modicum of authority about them. Obviously Morrisons like the other big supermarkets are frightened to death to upset {and possibly lose customers } so let it slide but it shouldn't happen. The excuse of "Well I have asthma and can't wear one" doesn't hles. Iold water with me, the wife and I have had asthma for 40 years but that doesn't stop us abiding by the ru hate wearing a mask and so does the wife, but we do.

What would this supermarket do if through their "negligence" their staff and customers got infected and had to close down for the foreseeable future, it would cost them more than refusing entry to a few dozen people not wearing masks. Anyone walking into shops not wearing a mask has no intention of wearing one, obviously a law unto themselves, so they should have their groceries delivered or start being turned away from ALL the shops till they get the message. 

If we don't start enforcing these safety measures we will never be free of lockdown.

The excuse of "Well I have asthma and can't wear one" doesn't hles. Iold water with me, the wife and I have had asthma for 40 years but that doesn't stop us abiding by the ru hate wearing a mask and so does the wife, but we do.

Totally agree, I also am asthmatic and have tried the masks but after a short while my chest starts to tighten. Instead I wear a face sheild as does daughter.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2020, 07:16:22 PM »
I believe Boris is trumpeting the fact that Britain is testing more people than anywhere else in the E.U.

If true, and I believe it is, the reason could be very simple, most other countries got a grip of Covid from the outset so managed to control it better and keep a lid on it, in other words whilst we were umming and arring over what to do in the middle of March, other E.U. countries had rolled their sleeves up and got stuck in, because of this one such country is doing less than 1000 tests a day. Their citizens have access to a great app that, when used, determines if they need a test or not, if they do they can get one just by booking an appointment with their local G.P.

Someone I know went to Clay Cross hospital the other day with an unrelated illness, but was advised to still get a Covid test done as a precaution...

B/  Once home she rang up for a home testing kit just to be told there are none available.

I despair with this testing fiasco!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »
Panis buying is back. :-?
Nipped daughter and support into Clay Cross last Thursday and I nipped into Tesco to pick up my weekends vegetables/fruit.

Now here's where I was a bit thick as some shelves were rather depleted, and there were longish queues to check outs.
I'm thinking what day is it - is it Friday ( this day can get busy in Clay Cross) errr no it's Thursday
Is it pay day for some --- no idea really
When we got nearer the check out two ladies were standing in front of me complaining about the panic buying
ahhh the penny dropped! :-? :-? :-?

Check out staff were despairing about the shelving being stripped.

Friday I heard some supermarkets were rationing certain items - for goodness sake what's the panic for!!
The assistance thought it was because people were fearing another lockdown!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
So.......P.O.T.U.S. and F.L.O.T.U.S have Covid, can't say I'm surprised.

The S.N.P. M.P. Margaret Ferrier was diagnosed with Covid but still travelled {by train no less} back to Scotland. Does this mean she will be treated like everyone else and fined £10,000....I won't hold my breath!

Still don't understand the "pub" rules. In our club last orders 9:30 everybody out by 10:00. You can chat to your hearts content to other people but if you stand up to say go to the toilet or go outside for a fag or just even wander around you MUST put on your mask, so whilst your sat down your quite obviously "safe" so why can't they stay open a little longer.......madness.
The bottom line is if we are to beat Covid {together} then we either mix with EVERYONE following safety precautions to the letter and beyond, or we don't mix at all.

I said from the outset {on an earlier post} restrictions were lifted too early, and I seem to be being proved right, well lets face it you didn't have to be a clairvoyant to have figured that out.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2020, 01:39:34 PM »

Got an update, apparently when you ring for a test it all depends what you tell them. For example if you have access to a car and have spare time {o.a.p.... stay home parent} and tell them that, they will send you all over the country to distant testing stations, but if you don't admit to any of the above, like this person did, she was sent to one less than 10 miles away from Chesterfield, so where she lives it was only about 6 miles away!! and she got her test and the result was less than 24 hours later, negative I might add.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »
Donald Trump and partner are isolating after testing positive, I wish them both a speedy recovery.
It sounds as if the White House is a Covid zone at the moment as well!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
The good news is we have more testing stations in Derbyshire
The bad news is our Covid numbers are on the increase and we will obviously be needing them!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2020, 12:21:25 PM »
Despite Covid some firms are booming and their profits soaring.

It is alleged:-

Consultancy firms are "lending their staffs expertise" to the government. This means that the government have become so reliant on these companies they can no longer seem to function without them, so instead of Joe public just paying a few M.P.'s to come up with answers, like they are supposed to, the public purse is ever stretched because it's paying ludicrous amounts of our money to these firms to wet nurse these clueless M.P.'s.
One firm is {or was} apparently supplying interns whose basic job is/was just to photocopy files, these are/were on loan to the government at approximately £300 per hour. Consultants obviously come a little dearer averaging £1500 per hour.

When one of these companies gets a government contract it's champagne all round as they can literally write their own cheques.
Covid was the best thing that ever happened as far as they are concerned, and long may it continue!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
It may well long continue with how things are going.
I was hoping we might go back to medium tier after three weeks but looking at figures I doubt it.
We were about to go away with friends for the weekend the day after it was made public we were to go into tier 2, Cancelled!
Will we go in November -- I doubt it.
Calow has cancelled visiting for all but compassionate visits and current figures ar 40 covid cases in there.
We have bolted back down our hole and resumed ordering groceries, too many people i know or friends who have friends are going down with covid.
Ahhh well roll on 2021 and see what happens

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »
It may well long continue with how things are going.
I was hoping we might go back to medium tier after three weeks but looking at figures I doubt it.
We were about to go away with friends for the weekend the day after it was made public we were to go into tier 2, Cancelled!
Will we go in November -- I doubt it.

This is what I don't understand about this tier system, each area has it's own tier "number" but it's not controlling the movement from one district to another, yes you can't visit loved ones or go on holiday but still there's massive [daily] movement of say delivery people in and around that move from one area to another, utter madness. Most of South Yorkshire is tier 3 yet there's nothing stopping me, or anyone, jumping in my car and driving to Yorkshire or anywhere else for that matter.

We should have had total lockdown, nothing short, otherwise we will never be rid.

wollygobble

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »
We should have had total lockdown, nothing short, otherwise we will never be rid.
Well it seems Boris has finally caught up with you - lockdown from next Wednesday from what I hear.

I think there have been two problems, quite apart from non-compliance.  One is that instead of following the science as promised, the government has been weighing the science against the economy, and the economy has been winning.  The tier system does have some effect - that is why the virus is now spreading faster in the south than in the north.  But it isn't enough, because the other problem is that although they understand the science, I really don't think they understand the mathematics. As long as R is above 1, however marginally, growth will be exponential, and to quote a recent scientist, even a slow exponential growth will overwhelm the NHS.

As for non-compliance, there must be enough people losing their jobs to double the police force, which would be better than paying people to twiddle their thumbs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 04:51:54 PM by wollygobble »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk