Author Topic: Trebor Sweets Factory  (Read 4603 times)

Tezden

• View Profile
Trebor Sweets Factory
« on: November 14, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »
Hi ... Being newish to the Forum I'm not sure if the following is 'old hat' or 'new' ...

There is a website called 'Britain From Above' which has hundreds, nay, thousands of oldish pictures taken from the air.   On the Chesterfield section there are loads of pictures of the Spire and, of more interest to me, the old Trebor Sweets factory and surroundings.

I used to work for Bassett's of Liquorice Allsorts fame, for a long time, and I visited the old Trebor factory a couple of times after Trebor was bought by Cadbury's and merged with Bassett's to form Trebor Bassett Limited.  It was obviously quite old but manufactured sweets in the old fashioned way ... Great to see.

The Britain From Above site is available on britainfromabove.org.uk ... And is well worth a look see.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Trebor Sweets Factory
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »
It's not a site that I've actaully looked at TBH.
Just had a look for photos of Bolsover, sadly there aren't that many, most of them are of the Coalite plant.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

ironsky2

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
Hi ... Being newish to the Forum I'm not sure if the following is 'old hat' or 'new' ...

There is a website called 'Britain From Above' which has hundreds, nay, thousands of oldish pictures taken from the air.   On the Chesterfield section there are loads of pictures of the Spire and, of more interest to me, the old Trebor Sweets factory and surroundings.

I used to work for Bassett's of Liquorice Allsorts fame, for a long time, and I visited the old Trebor factory a couple of times after Trebor was bought by Cadbury's and merged with Bassett's to form Trebor Bassett Limited.  It was obviously quite old but manufactured sweets in the old fashioned way ... Great to see. My Dad worked at Trebor in the 1960s for a few years shame it closed.

The Britain From Above site is available on britainfromabove.org.uk ... And is well worth a look see.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
Hi Tezden welcome back  :)
I remember the sickly smell from the Trebor which used to fill the air around that part of Chesterfield sometimes.
I will have a look at the site you mentioned as never heard of it, thanks for sharing it.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Chesterfield 4eva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 07:29:47 PM »
My dad worked at trebor and Cadbury. Me and my brother went round the factory when we were kids, we were told we could try any of the sweets but I was to scared to take any. My brother had loads stuffed in his pocket. We were sat in my dad's office for ages. My dad used to bring home the white carrier bags with chocolate limes and mints in and other sweets.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
When I was a teenager having just left school the lads I worked with, a couple of them dated girls who worked at Trebor. They, and others, always said you can tell a girl who works there by the "smell". The sweet smell of the confectionery was something they could not get rid of whilst working there.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Chesterfield 4eva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 06:33:48 PM »
My dad came home smelling of the sweets as well. It is true that smell you couldn't get rid of.

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 09:09:04 PM »
When I was an engineering apprentice in the late '70s, and on day-release at Chesterfield College, or "The Tech" as it was in those days, Trebor Works was only a few hundred yards away, across the railway lines. (The A61 bypass now follows the line of the old railway cutting).

When the wind was in the right direction the sickly sweet smell from the works was overpowering. But worse, you could always tell when it was "mint day", and they were boiling up the syrup for Trebor Mints, by the sugar smell being replaced by the stink of peppermint oil, so strong that even on hot summer days we kept the classroom windows shut just to keep it out. Even then the smell could make your eyes water and make you feel sick.

By a strange coincidence, some years later, I ended up working for a company that made ingredient measuring equipment for the food industry.

One of my occasional jobs was servicing the mint-oil dosing pumps at Trebor.  Yuck :P

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 05:25:37 PM »
 I worked in town close to trebor, we always knew when it was pay day, when there was a whiff of pear drops in the air ! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk