Author Topic: Pet scarers for your garden  (Read 1553 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Pet scarers for your garden
« on: April 12, 2020, 12:35:14 PM »
I have a large back garden that's all grass and has been a magnet for foxes and cats over the years. Every time I get the mower out I have to walk the garden picking up the fox and cat mess so I don't get it all over my mower, and that doesn't do my stomach much good.
I have tried numerous ways of deterring these pests, I have 2 of the green Pestbye sensors, had them years, but they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
I've tried orange peel, spraying lime juice, chopped onion all to no avail. A couple of years ago I bought one of those "ray gun" type thingy's the "Defenders mega sonic scatter cat". Like a gun you point it at the cat on your garden, pull the trigger and it emits an ultra sonic sound at the same time shooting out a laser light basically shows you where your pointing..... ABSOLUTE CR*P!!!
I had it for about a fortnight the only reaction I got from the cats was a look of "What the hell is he doing?" just before they weighed one in, it would have worked better if I had thrown it at them.
The booklet that came with it had testimonials from other users, great, brilliant etc etc. and it said if not satisfied return for full refund. It also said if you send it back it MUST be in it's original packaging and undamaged as they can then re sell it!

They are obviously working on the principal the cats on your garden must be duff cats, so it's obviously the cats fault. 

Short of sending for a monthly supply of lion dung {or buying a twelve bore} anyone out there with a foolproof method.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: Pet scarers for your garden
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 06:06:10 PM »
They do say a large plastic bottle filled with water works, the sun's reflections through the water is supposed to scare them off.
On a similar vein the black metal cats with glass reflective eyes  is supposed to work too.

And no, they don't!  >:(

I'm not sure what, if anything, will keep them away.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 10:42:33 AM »
We have used those beeep mole scarers for some years, but think the moles get used to them, and ignore them, as witnessed by the molehills we have had....but following some decent mole traps, and catching a few...hope they won't come back..if indeed there are any left around here!!! We also have plastic bottles on sticks that revolve...
Not had any signs of foxes or badgers for ages...

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 10:51:10 AM »
One thing my wife hates more than anything is spiders, our yearly ritual in Autumn was going round the house leaving conkers in every corner, but that seemed a temporary measure.

One thing I did try, and they work very well is the "Pest exit" plug ins. We, meaning me, used to have to dispose of at least 2 spiders a night and they were always big ones, usually by sucking them up with the Dyson and releasing them on the garden, or just whacking them.
Since we purchased two of these plug ins about a year ago {one downstairs, one upstairs} we see very few spiders and those we do see which is roughly about one a week are quite small.

So it seems to have solved our spider problem by at least 90%, I'm not saying they are not there, we very rarely see them now.   
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 05:19:44 PM »
Never had a problem with any pests when we had a dog ! :))

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 12:42:30 PM »
I used to have problem with cats who used to eat the food I put out for the Hedgehogs, especially one little pussy who get get where water could go!!
Anyway, I sorted it by using bricks in front of the feeding houses. These days we don't get many at all.
Grow mint and put a small pot near open windows or doors to help keep flies out.
That's the best I can offer with deterrents - sorry
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk