Author Topic: Scam Call  (Read 1437 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Scam Call
« on: February 02, 2021, 11:34:15 AM »
Yep I got one on Sunday.
Claiming to be from the Halifax.
It amused me to listen to the chaps voice. He was obviously trying to disguise his accent which had a hint of South African in it.

He ask if i used internet banking I told him no.
He then went on to tell me that my account had been used in Liverpool for two sums of money
I pandered too him a bit longer.

He then said he needed to speak to his manager and 'ordered ' me to stay on the line - big mistake that as anyone who know me will know that i will retaliate.

I disconnected the call - he called me back saying accusingly 'Did you just disconnect the call madam' i said yes.
He then went on to order me to put in a number ( four digits) when I received another call from them.

At this point I told him I had somewhere I needed to be and ended the call.

I had several calls after that but ignored them.

I think he got off very lightly to be honest as I really felt like telling to to go away - only using a different phrase  :))

I did actually double check with the Halifax that it was a hoax call which it was!

I'm still chuckling now at the fake voice I wonder if he actually managed to con anyone speaking like that  :))
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Scam Call
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 01:45:52 PM »
As has been said O.C. these scammers have all the time in the world, they probably ring hundreds of people a day and it only takes one to believe them and to them it's worth it.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:56 PM »
I once received a scam call and decided to teach them a lesson. They asked if I was Mr B*** to which I replied ye. He then started his spiel and I interrupted saying "sorry but it's my Dad you want - I'll go and get him".

I left him hanging on for a while and then eventually went back and replaced the receiver (he was still hanging on!). 😂
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:15:02 AM »
I once received a scam call and decided to teach them a lesson. They asked if I was Mr B*** to which I replied ye. He then started his spiel and I interrupted saying "sorry but it's my Dad you want - I'll go and get him".

I left him hanging on for a while and then eventually went back and replaced the receiver (he was still hanging on!). 😂

:)) :))

tonyquart

• View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 02:22:22 PM »
I never pick up a call from unfamiliar number, but after reading your post, I think I might try it in the future. It seems fun. Lol. Until now, I always ignore those calls. Sometimes I just look them up on Google or some sites like http://phonebook.ai and then just block them most of the time.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 01:31:16 PM »
I never pick up a call from unfamiliar number, but after reading your post, I think I might try it in the future. It seems fun. Lol. Until now, I always ignore those calls. Sometimes I just look them up on Google or some sites like http://phonebook.ai and then just block them most of the time.

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. Like you I block the scammers numbers but they always find another number to call on!!  >:(

wollygobble

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 04:36:39 PM »
A friend of ours had a call the other day saying that someone had taken £1400 from her bank account.
She laughed, said "They'll be lucky!" and put the phone down.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 01:25:56 PM »
We are always told to be wary and keep our details confidential {especially our bank account details}

So it came as a bit of a surprise to us yesterday, we had decided to have a walk round, as we walked along the main road in our village I spotted a sheet of folded paper on the floor that looked "official" so I picked it up only to find it was someones bank statement!
The persons name and address p/code sort code account number the whole nine yards was there for anyone to find.

The strange thing was according to the time and date stamp on the statement it had been printed less than 1 hour before, so whoever had hold of it didn't take long to lose it. I did think of returning it through the post but hey! they might lose it again, so have decided to destroy it {they can always get a copy}

So if the person concerned, who may be reading this, picked up their Nat West statement in Chesterfield at 11:27 yesterday morning and had lost it in a village a couple of miles outside town just turned lunchtime fear not.... your secret is safe with me, the statement has been shredded.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 01:35:02 PM »
We are always told to be wary and keep our details confidential {especially our bank account details}

So it came as a bit of a surprise to us yesterday, we had decided to have a walk round, as we walked along the main road in our village I spotted a sheet of folded paper on the floor that looked "official" so I picked it up only to find it was someones bank statement!
The persons name and address p/code sort code account number the whole nine yards was there for anyone to find.

The strange thing was according to the time and date stamp on the statement it had been printed less than 1 hour before, so whoever had hold of it didn't take long to lose it. I did think of returning it through the post but hey! they might lose it again, so have decided to destroy it {they can always get a copy}

So if the person concerned, who may be reading this, picked up their Nat West statement in Chesterfield at 11:27 yesterday morning and had lost it in a village a couple of miles outside town just turned lunchtime fear not.... your secret is safe with me, the statement has been shredded.

Oh heck!  :-?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:10:15 PM by Fly »

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 12:47:29 PM »
B.B.C. 1..... 10 a.m. each day a programme called For love or money. If you've watched a few of these you probably get the feeling, as I do, that it's an easy way to make money, and I'm sorry to say this but if it's THAT easy I can understand why people with no scruples do it, lets face it a scammer can make up to a hundred thousand pounds on one scam just for a few hours work sat in front of a computer.

The "victims" sending thousands and thousands of pounds, mostly abroad, to people they have never even seen let alone met. I cannot believe that these people can be so gullible, even to the point that, in one particular case EVERYONE told this woman it was a scam and at one point her bank refused to do a money transfer for her because they TOLD her it was a scam and she blanked them and forced them to send it, so when the cold light of day dawned and she was many thousands of pounds lighter, she obviously needn't look to the bank for any sympathy.

It always seems to be a similar scam as well.....well off single man working abroad suddenly needs money for the ongoing job or he will lose "millions" then after he's got that he then either gets "arrested or hospitalised" and wants more, it's like they are reading off a script.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk