Author Topic: The stopping smoking thread :-(  (Read 57455 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: The stopping smoking thread :-(
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
Sounds like a daft suggestion, but find something to do with your hands.

:o
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
Good luck to you both - I know how hard it will be, I packed up 36 years ago and I still sometimes get the urge (for a fag)!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

handy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
I stopped by using an inhalater ,i went throught our local doctor/nurse, i thought it was the nearest thing to a real ciggie plus you could hold it like a real cigarette  http://www.nicorette.co.uk/products/inhalator?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=inhalator&utm_campaign=2012_Desktop_Product_Inhalator
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
Sounds like a daft suggestion, but find something to do with your hands.   Ive heard that things like Xbox or playstation, knitting, model making etc can help as it keeps your hands busy and passes the time that would otherwise be taken up relaxing with a cigarette and book/telly.

Neither of us smoke in the house. If we want a fag, it's on the doorstep come rain, snow or shine.
In the evenings, I'm usually on the net, just nip out for a drag now and then. E-fag might cure that.

Our_Lass needs to stop. I don't want to, but I'm trying to be supportive for her, plus it's probably beneficial for my own health in the long run.
My main bug bear is during the day, boredom between fares. Smoke like a trooper.

I'm thinking this might help me personally. Well, I hope, don't want to use it as a excuse for not stopping.
http://www.quitsmokingtodayaids.com/will-the-results-of-champix-make-me-quit-smoking/
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »
Fly could you knit me a jumper please

No !
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:14:50 PM by Fly »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
Fly could you knit me a jumper please

No !

:P  :P
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
I did it twice  ;D by delaying the time of my first ciggie of the day a little bit. To begin with, my routine was get up; kettle on, ciggie. I started by putting off the first one until I got to work, dealing with any craving by saying that I'd only have to wait a bit longer. Once that was ok I pushed the first one back a bit, to coffee break. Then lunch, then tea-time; after about six or eight weeks I was at the stage where I wasn't having my first one of the day until about 8 or 9 at night. At that point it seemed stupid not to stop completely. Thing is, inside you, you've absolutely got to need to stop. Just wanting to isn't enough, and folk who have will know the difference.

Been off them for about seven years or so, now, but for a long time after I'd wake up in the morning utterly convinced that I 'd had one the night before. I could even taste it, sometimes. A really peculiar feeling, but I suppose that's addiction for you.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:20:59 PM by Stuart »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 05:34:05 PM »
Received our information packs from the NHS today, will wait for the call tomorrow and update you all.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 10:46:48 PM »
Best of luck - willpower - to you both.
I really hope you succeed.
Let me know how you get on-I could do with doing it myself to be honest.
Smoking since 16 and now 53.
Not good is it??
Not sure if I could expect the full support of my family, as my wife and both children smoke (kids are 21 & 24).
My Mum recently died at only 77 yrs old from what can only be called as complications due to smoking.
I currently don't have a car so do walk a lot so get quite a lot of excercise, but smoking still concerns me.
 :(
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »
Well done Stuart - sounds like you worked very hard at kicking this habit - you make it sound easy but I'll bet it wasn't!
Can I just say anyone who has ever loved and lost someone with cronic airways disease or any other smoking related condition would have maybe the strengh to give up fags.
I think TV should be showing the true life symptons in advertising - they put enough crap on there to put something helpful would be good ( well i think it would).
Or would others think it too graphic and upsetting?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 09:13:43 PM »
Spoke to the nice lady from the NHS.
Our_Lass will be getting a letter to take to the doctors for a prescription for Champix.
I'm due a letter for my doctor for Zyban.

We're slowly running out of backa, how long does it take to make a doctors appointment ?
NHS ringing us back next Thursday to see how were going on.
Knew I may have as well gone to the doctors a week ago, every things just delayed now by a week :-(

F it, I'll by some Nicotine mints this weekend, try to cut down big style before I see the doctor next week.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 03:31:17 AM »
Good idea Fly, it won't be easy --- but you CAN do this  :)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
I think TV should be showing the true life symptons in advertising - they put enough crap on there to put something helpful would be good ( well i think it would).
Or would others think it too graphic and upsetting?

Did I read/see somewhere that Tv (adverts?) are going to show the graphic effects of cancer post watershed?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
@ Alsatian - I am taking it you mean smoking related? I think it was spoken about ages ago but heard nothing lately

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
Not specifically as I recall  - I think it mentioned breast cancer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk