Author Topic: Food Banks  (Read 3184 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Food Banks
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
I was really quite taken aback this morning when I read on a poster that in our village there is a food bank.
Silly really and I don't know why I should have been baring the recent times we are going through.
I know of them in cities - just never brought it closer to home in my mind.
How do these food banks work?
Can people just drop in and collect food without being checked as to if they need it - I know of a few who would take advantage - would give them more for booze and fags!
Really sad times we are sinking into - yet money is still being given away to other countries  :(
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Food Banks
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »
I too have no knowledge of how these food banks work, though I have read about them many times in the last few months.

Anybody?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

handy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
I know nothing about them ,but noticed a box for people to donate food at Morrisons Halfway, at the side of animal charities it seems to be taking off in a big way.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
Just found this site. It give a bit of info about how food banks work.
TBH, I didn't know either.  At least it's organised. You don't just help yourself.

http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
That's interesting Fly, I notice there is one in Clay Cross as well, however the one I have seen posted isn't on the list I wonder if it's newly started.
Handy I wonder if Morrisons then distribute the donated food/toiletries or if there is a charity which is organising it?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »
I read yesterday that GP's and Social Services can give food vouchers for anyone in need to use at the food banks.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »
Tesco had people doing food bank promotion today, handing out leaflets, a desk just as people entered.
We bought three items of food and donated it.
I can't help but think back to when I was in a bad situation years ago and how a food bank would have helped during that time.
Still with hard work and some luck thrown in I pulled out of it, but I know how hard it is and so I think they are a good idea - but they really shouldn't be needed should they!!  >:(
Lets just give it away to other countries eh -

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »
I know nothing about this- but its obviously there to cover a need. A need thats been recognised by someone. Who? Statistics of some sort come in to play at some point.
I just think its so sad that these Food Banks have to exist in this day and age. Surely they are not feeding the homeless, but maybe the vulnerable - I don't know.
If this is really the true state of Great Britain today, then forget about all the charity type adverts on TV, because charity begins at home.
Are we really in such a bad state that families can't feed themselves - on benefits or not ?
I'm sorry but it seems like we are back in Victorian times at the moment - no sorry , even worse.
At least we had manufacturing of some sort then, but not now.
I'm at a loss on this one to be honest, but I'm glad the food bank is there for the needy.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »
strikes me as quite simple
Everyone could afford to feed themselves if the government operated economic policies that paid everyone a living wage and supported those who couldn't (not those who won't) work.
But whilstever there are people and charities willing to step into the breach the government will continue to pursue economic policies benefitting the haves!
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 12:28:58 AM »
What he said

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »
Derbyshire are inviting food banks to apply for cash to help them to respond to the increase in demand

IT SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING THERE SHOULDN'T BE A NEED FOR IT  >:(

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/news_events/news-updates/2013/october/news_items/food_banks_get_cash_boost_to_support_people_on_low_incomes.asp

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk