Author Topic: Fishers Taxi's  (Read 6554 times)

Fleetline

• View Profile
Re: Fishers Taxi's
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
Fascinating thread- My grandad, Joe Clarke worked for Fishers for many years, I still have his gold watch for 25 years service with Boddy Industries from 1945-1970. The picture of the 404 taxi is parked just down from where he lived on Queen St. He`d obviously the funerals for years and I remember him talking of the B.I.D`s (brought in deads) and being summoned from the Chesterfield Arms to collect some poor unfortunate recently deceased. He did one of the first funerals at Chesterfield Crematorium I believe.
As far as the cars go, I remember him driving a Morris Oxford NRB 662J, Several 404`s bit I remember ARB 371L and the Peugeot 505 NHE 865R (I remember there were others but not their numbers). I remember registration numbers from being a child, no surprises that I have been a Transport Manager for 25 years.
I remember Fishers selling up Joe went to work for GP Taxis as did many of the cars. I remember the yard on Corporation St containing several decaying Oxfords (including an auto IIRC) He stayed there until he retired aged 77 in 1983, and passed later that year.
I`d wondered what had happened to Morris "six two" after the late Phil Tyler had it in the 2000`s, glad its still about and back in Geoff`s ownership.
Would love to see any more photos of the taxis and funeral fleet. I think I have some of the Humbers somewhere that haven`t been seen for many years. I`ll post if I find them.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
Fascinating thread- My grandad, Joe Clarke worked for Fishers for many years, I still have his gold watch for 25 years service with Boddy Industries from 1945-1970. The picture of the 404 taxi is parked just down from where he lived on Queen St. He`d obviously the funerals for years and I remember him talking of the B.I.D`s (brought in deads) and being summoned from the Chesterfield Arms to collect some poor unfortunate recently deceased. He did one of the first funerals at Chesterfield Crematorium I believe.
As far as the cars go, I remember him driving a Morris Oxford NRB 662J, Several 404`s bit I remember ARB 371L and the Peugeot 505 NHE 865R (I remember there were others but not their numbers). I remember registration numbers from being a child, no surprises that I have been a Transport Manager for 25 years.
I remember Fishers selling up Joe went to work for GP Taxis as did many of the cars. I remember the yard on Corporation St containing several decaying Oxfords (including an auto IIRC) He stayed there until he retired aged 77 in 1983, and passed later that year.
I`d wondered what had happened to Morris "six two" after the late Phil Tyler had it in the 2000`s, glad its still about and back in Geoff`s ownership.
Would love to see any more photos of the taxis and funeral fleet. I think I have some of the Humbers somewhere that haven`t been seen for many years. I`ll post if I find them.

Welcome to the forum Fleetline, I hope you manage to find some photographs they would be lovely to see.!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 09:50:58 AM »
R.I.P.
 Geoff pheasant.......
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2022, 06:19:08 PM »
R.I.P.
 Geoff pheasant.......

RIP Geoff
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

jdunn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2024, 10:41:07 AM »
I worked for Fishers Taxis in 1971. My taxi was a black Morris Oxford number 195. We were identified by the last two numbers of our registration place, so I was 95. I had just returned from India and drove the taxi on my Indian driving licence which was perfectly legal.
It was a summer job before carrying on studying. It was the most enjoyable job I have ever had. I had great customers and did all sorts of things I should not have done. I raced a Mr Whippy on the big bend near Whit moor.  I had my first encounter with a young lady who had been to a wedding reception at Brimington and I took them back to the Derby road (She first had a problem getting her legs across the gearshift which was in the middle of the floor at the front and came up in a rather seductive area). I remember the controller telling me off for being off air for two hours.
What an experience and what fun. 
You do not get times like this any more! You don't get Mansfield Ale either.
I am coming to the other end of my time now, and am just as outrageous as I ever was but now, well, I'm off to live at my farm in SE Asia. I can do what I want, when I want, and I don't have to put up with any stupid regulations. I am going out with a big grin on my face.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2024, 10:58:02 AM »
 :o
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2024, 12:23:24 PM »
I worked for Fishers Taxis in 1971. My taxi was a black Morris Oxford number 195. We were identified by the last two numbers of our registration place, so I was 95

Mine was 50.
I remember Harry Brown getting a telling off one day as, at the beginning of his shift, he was talking to a passenger and as he was a little hard of hearing turned down the volume on his radio, unfortunately he forgot to turn it back up again and spent most of the day just picking fares up from the L.M.S. and wondering why the radio traffic was quiet.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk