Author Topic: At last something worth watching on the BBC  (Read 1011 times)

hifimad

• View Profile
At last something worth watching on the BBC
« on: December 23, 2019, 12:50:55 AM »
I do not watch BBC TV much but tonight i decided to watch the first episode of a three part series shown over three nights "a christmas carol" on bbc1, i have over the years watched all the versions of the adaptations of dickens novel and up until tonight my favorite was the one with George C scott, however this 2019 version seems to have divided opinion, i think that it may be a little dark for some though i enjoyed this less sentimental portrayal of the story.
The story was ready for a darker portrayal as the original novel when published was considered to be shocking and when you consider that what was shockingin the 1800s is now de rigueur the story needed beefing up a bit, and boy have they beefed it up, if you have not already started watching it i can recommend it though i would suggest after the kids have gone to bed.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: At last something worth watching on the BBC
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
Not really watched much TV of late but I did see this advertised and have seen so many versions I didn't even bother to record it.
Like wise with the Worzel Gummidge programme - now Worzel looks one scary Scarecrow! 
I'm giving that a miss as well!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:27:27 PM »
Not really watched much TV of late but I did see this advertised and have seen so many versions I didn't even bother to record it.
Like wise with the Worzel Gummidge programme - now Worzel looks one scary Scarecrow! 
I'm giving that a miss as well!

I'm like you if I don't like the look of a programme I tend to bypass it, especially if it's a re worked theme like Worzel, to me that is and always will be Jon Pertwee plus the new look Worzel looks like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean, rather sinister looking, but for some reason I gave it a go {lets face it we're all still kids at heart}. It's in two parts last night and tonight, we watched last nights and taped tonights {to watch tomorrow}
I have to be honest and say it's rather good.
Mackenzie Crook is a good actor and he passes as Worzel quite well no Jon Pertwee but still.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 12:36:15 AM »
I didn't know there was a new Worzel on TV.
Perhaps I'm busier than I thought  ;) :))
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk