Author Topic: "Sport" {in inverted comma's}  (Read 2986 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
"Sport" {in inverted comma's}
« on: July 29, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »
I watch BBC news this morning and the sports part of the programme came on. Am I missing something by not understanding the rules, nay the reasons, these so called sports even exist, take this morning:-

Tour de France... It is not a race {but is always referred to as one} but a time trial lasting approximately three weeks. After three weeks the times are accumulated so therefore the cyclist with the overall shortest time is deemed to be the winner and as such when it "finishes" in Paris on the "last" day the leader is not challenged as he cruises over the finish line, so to me that means it finished YESTERDAY if he's not being challenged as a race is first over the finish line.
And the spectators en-route stand there for hours just to watch cyclists roar passed them in less than a minute.

Formula 1.... This is even more bizarre, these drivers tour the world racing cars that you couldn't afford even if you did win the lottery, and the beauty of this is when I catch the results sometimes the winners seem to be the same three or four names, you may as well just have those four only in a race because the other teams seem to be wasting their money.

Football.... All I can add to what I've already said about football is I don't understand why, if the players are not winning because their cr*p, why sack the manager, he's not playing. People will say "Oh you don't understand" your right I don't.

Round the world yacht race...What the hell is all that about, gone for eleven months, trying to kill yourself {one did die apparently} not what you would call a spectator "sport". Apparently Robin Knox-Johnston the first person to solo non stop round the world {obviously wasn't working at the time then} said "What an achievement..do you realise more people have climbed mount Everest than have sailed round the world" so he's obviously never been on a cruise liner then. {F.Y.I. Everest, another waste of time climbing that, it's been done to death}   

Golf..... Don't get me started.

Apart from the yacht race why do the above also insist on having dolly birds draped everywhere.

Going now as my croquet mallet wants polishing.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: "Sport" {in inverted comma's}
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 07:50:02 PM »
I once got a trophy for being in the runners up team in the Bolsover League darts final.
Proper sport that  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 01:51:20 PM »
I've just come across my old school swimming certificate for swimming a length at Bolsover baths 1964
Also had a few runners up darts trophies like yourself but got lost over the mists of time.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:18:48 PM »
I learnt to swim 'and' used to spend hours there. Mum was a lifeguard for a spell too. (Mid to late 70's)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »
I just remembered, I went to Deincourt school in North Wingfield which was about a mile and a half from the old Clay Cross baths but we went to Bolsover baths{then a good 20 minute trip} instead, talk about organisation.
I suppose some things never change.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 02:27:37 AM »
I've never been built for speed on land, but was pretty good at swimming at school. But that is a long time ago.I can still swim- albeit at a much fairer and not competitive pace :P
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 07:48:44 PM »
I just remembered, I went to Deincourt school in North Wingfield which was about a mile and a half from the old Clay Cross baths but we went to Bolsover baths{then a good 20 minute trip} instead, talk about organisation.
I suppose some things never change.

Ohhh the old Clay Cross swimming baths.
I went there.
Freezing cold in winter.
Stable style doors for changing.

Think you lived over the hill from me !
Mr and Mrs Fotheringham wasn't it who ran it
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »
Mr. and Mrs. Scothern

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
Mr. and Mrs. Scothern

That's correct sorry got their name wrong but yes we went their with school and with friends at weekends.
Cold and draughty place
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk