Author Topic: Proposed development of Donut  (Read 3744 times)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Proposed development of Donut
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:46:18 AM »
What does anyone think about the proposed development of the Donut roundabout, and will it benefit Chesterfield, be a bonus to the likes of the Co-operative store, and say for example, Eyres.
Furthermore, what implications does this development mean for further congestion on to the road in and out of Chesterfield, via stonegravels, where all the buses eminate from the depot in Stonegravels?
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Proposed development of Donut
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:59:22 AM »
There will be some disruption and loss of parking during the building, hopefully when developed there will be parking provided and better road systems

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »
There will be some disruption

Ha ha. It'll be bleeding grid locked and chaotic.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »
I just hoped that its been well thought through, parking will be lost but hoping some will be made again, traffic will be even more chaotic than it already is :\

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »
A couple of developers are shortlisted to submit plans.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »
Be nice if they made it easier to get to the Train Station too
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
There will be some disruption

Ha ha. It'll be bleeding grid locked and chaotic.
Exactly, I agree. And where do all the (Stagecoach) buses have to come from in the first place?
Yes you've guessed it, up Sheffield rd, past the new development.
By the way there is only one bus stop on the donut - good really cos that keeps traffic moving(its recessed). Are there plans to add any more based on the possible shift of the great shopping masses that will inevitably occur?
Or even a drive in/out bus station like Alfreton, Matlock(2), Derby,Clay Cross....It seems that if Tesco is not in the plan (cos they will pay for road improvements/ infrastructure) then its not going to happen.
I know I've said this before(on another forum) but why cant Chesterfield, if its gearing up to be something approaching "City" status, have a centralised Bus station of some sort.
Logistically, I appreciate its probably not possible - the two multi storey car parks on beetwell st create nightmares at busy times- no one observes the yellow grid matrix on Markham Rd, etc,etc.
I just think this is going to further clog up the town centre traffic wise.
And in this double dip economic downturn, dont forget people only have so much money they can spend, therefore more shops versus equal number of shoppers = less money spent per shop.
Bad times, I need a paracetamol ??? ???
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »
Short of knocking the Town Centre down and starting again I don't think these problems are solvable. As we've said before Stagecoach aren't interested in a bus station that will mean their buses have to go across the town centre.
As to the shopping areas, the Pavements killed the rest of the town centre, now Vicar Lane is killing the pavements. If the Cavendish st/ Stephenson Place area is refurbed it can only be to the detriment of Vicar Lane. And so it goes on.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:34:09 AM »
Chesterfield is not suffering from empty units to anywhere near the extent of many towns.

Caught a bus tonight first time for ages. A little annoying that it went past the pub of my destination and didn't pull up till a fair distance after but although there isn't a town centre bus station there are stops dotted around several parts of the centre. If people change buses in town can't see that there is more than 5 minutes between any of the stops.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk