Author Topic: FRESH fish  (Read 978 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
FRESH fish
« on: February 16, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
My wife and I love eating fish. Unfortunately finding really fresh fish around here is a real problem.

We used to use the fish counters in our local supermarkets but I've found it very hit and miss as to the freshness of the fish, so much so I haven't bought fish from a supermarket for over 3 years now, ever since I bought some supermarket cod for tea to have the next day and I opened it smelled it then I binned it, and fish isn't cheap. The wife will sometimes buy the pre packed salmon pieces but that's it.

We used to get fish from the fish stall in the market hall and even then sometimes their fish was nothing to write home about but that's closed now. Whilst they were closed there used to be a wet fish van parked at the top of the market some days but don't see that now. There also used to be a fish van on our estate but I could never catch him and I haven't seen him for ages, I'm working on the principal that Covid might have something to do with it.

So if anyone out there can point me in the right direction as to where I can get some decent fish {without me jumping on a trawler} I would be grateful, I don't mind paying a little extra provided I'm getting "fresh" fish, thanks.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: FRESH fish
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:22:12 PM »
Quote from Sorastro :

There also used to be a fish van on our estate but I could never catch him..........

Pun intended? 🤣
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 01:22:08 PM »
Bolsover market place Friday mornings. There's usually the fruit and veg stall, and a fish man/van.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 07:58:35 PM »
No sorry Alsatian...that one slipped me by.

Thanks Fly, I'm assuming you've been a customer and are satisfied with the quality?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 08:24:14 AM »
Not a customer, but one of the Facebook groups I started was 'Bolsover Opinions'.
If he was selling naff fish, he'd have been mentioned on that group, trust me  :)) :)) :D ;D  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »
O.K. thanks Fly  will call in the next week or so and check him out, it will be good to get some decent fish, may as well get my veg from there whilst I'm at it.....

Might even be a substitute for Chesterfield.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 12:05:09 AM »
Spoke to the guy this (Fri)morning. He said drop him a text or emal asking about his times and he'll reply.
Apparently he does Bolsover, but also does Stanedge too (y)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 08:16:38 AM »
His details would help LOL

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 01:19:48 PM »
Thank you Fly. will do, couldn't go yesterday as waiting to fetch wife from hospital.

The last time I parked up and "shopped" in Bolsover we called in Riley's T.V. shop on the market place and purchased a music centre as a Xmas box for my then 14 year old daughter, she's now 47 so obviously parking will be a bit different now so where's the best place to park,  Castle street moor lane.. any tips?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 10:02:47 AM »
Opposite side of the market place to Riley's is the entrance to the new Morrisons, up the side of the Cavendish pub. It's now a 3 way traffic light junction, not just a pedestrian crossing. As you turn in there's parking there on the right, or follow the road up into Morrisons car park.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
I remember the fish van it came around our village. It was claimed it was from Grimsby.
I also buy fresh pre- packed Salmon, Finny Haddock and Mackerel sometimes, also love baby prawns.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 08:12:46 PM »
Spoke to the guy this (Fri)morning. He said drop him a text or emal asking about his times and he'll reply.
Apparently he does Bolsover, but also does Stanedge too (y)

Spoke to Shaun {by phone} yesterday about times and if he can do house deliveries, which he can, so popping up to Bolsover Friday morning. Will hopefully park in Morrisons and get a few oddments from there and also do the market, kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks again Fly. 

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »
A couple of stalls. Hardly a market as such.
Bolsover is just like any other market town.
Internet, not the council  (y)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk