Author Topic: Any train buffs got an answer?  (Read 1506 times)

therealjr

• View Profile
Any train buffs got an answer?
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
So this morning we caught a train to Manchester. When we got to Sheffield the crew switched ends and we went out the same way we came in. Strange but ok I can live with that. coming home we got to Sheffield and we came in going South. So logic should dictate we carry on going South (as most trains to town do) but once again we set off again in a northerly direct before at some point doing a 180 and going through Dore Tunnel to get home.
Anyone know why?
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Any train buffs got an answer?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
Train drivers  ^-^ ^-^

Seriously, used to go to Sheff on Saturdays with friends for a drink. I was about 16  C:-)
Got off the train and headed towards what we thought was the direction of the exit only to be faced with a stone wall.
We had walked the wrong way ???
I can only presume the train was diverted due to track works somewhere on all these occasions  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »
As I Understand it, there has been a Track upgrade going on , on the Midland Line.
This was recently completed at Clay Cross, for quicker journey Times to London.
Yes, I ask the same question, Why do we need the proposed HR2 Line.

Hope Link works

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152887313028182&set=gm.384564235064338&type=1&theater
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:46:33 PM by Kent »

Engine Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »
Ok so you obviously caught East Midlands Trains Liverpool service from Chesterfield in the morning which does indeed reverse at Sheffield and then travels back towards Dore where it take the Hope Valley route through Totley Tunnel and on past Stockport and into Manchester.
Your description of the return journey however makes no sense. If you caught EMT's Norwich service which is the return of the Liverpool that you caught in the morning, then you would have come back the way you went................there is no alternative route.
The only way you could have arrived into Sheffield travelling in a southerly direction would be to have gone from Manchester to Leeds then caught another train from Leeds to Sheffield, if then you say you set off again from Sheffield in a Northerly direction then the only way to do that would be to go via Woodbourn jct , Darnall, Woodhouse jct, Beighton jct  past Killamarsh, Renishaw and Barrow Hill to finally arrive at Chesterfield, crossing back onto the main lines at Tapton jct or did you arrive in Chesterfield on the new platform 3? Either way you could not have gone through Bradway Tunnel if you set off North from Sheff'
Hope this clears it up for you,............................................................. but perhaps not! :)) :)) :))
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak!

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
It was a Nottingham service but it was EMT. We came into Sheffield going south!

Engine Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 09:28:42 PM »
Are you sure it was EMT and not Northern Rail, because Northern Rail's Nottingham service comes into Sheffield from the north, it comes from Leeds,( I know cos I drive them!) then travels south to Chesterfield via Dore and Bradway Tunnel, did the train you were on call at Dronfield? before you got to Ches'?
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak!

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:04:21 AM »
Pretty sure and no

Engine Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »
Ok, don't know then!! :))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk