Author Topic: Pensions  (Read 11849 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Pensions
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
Depends if you are referring to a state pension or a contributory scheme. Isn't everyone entitled to that regardless of whether they have worked?

Not sure which pension you mean slacker, but I was under the impression that we needed to pay a full amount of national insurance stamps to get a full pension? My point was that I have always paid full stamps whilst others will not have - so they will have possible spent that - and then still get the same as I do even if it's made up with other benefits? The other things which bloody annoys me on that is that whilst self employed and getting my pension they taxed me on my pension!! Crafty or what! Can't win !!
I can see why some people don't bother, as don't work, and you will get money --- work and they will take money off you!  >:(
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 11:28:41 AM »

I'll be the one in the sleeping bag - always needed a lot of sleep!  :)

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
Don't claim to have gone deeply into pensions, suppose I should now I'm getting closer, but people who don't work prior to pension age get some sort of benefits when the reach pension age.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
Don't claim to have gone deeply into pensions,

but you do come on and make sweeping statements about them.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

k4blades

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »
A good debate, this one.
I don't think pensions are the same as other benefits.
A pension is something that you would expect permanently once retired, theoretically in return for a lifetime of contributions. Other benefits should be a temporary measure to help people through troubled times to get back on their feet.

I agree that most benefits should be paid in vouchers so that it is spent on things you would want it spent on, so food, etc, not plasma TVs etc.
The number of times I've heard people say that they would be better off on benefits than a low paid job! When are politicians going to get it into their thick heads that the way to deal with this is to make benefits less appealing, and focus the spending on the low paid, as Slacker said earlier about the changes to tax credits. There's a million and one things Govt, (of any party) could do to reduce the massive over spending on benefits but they haven't got the balls, look at the farce regarding child benefit which was going to be reduced for any higher taxed person, but because they didn't want to upset their "main supporters", there's been all sorts of messing about with it. As far as I'm concerned NO-ONE in the high tax bracket should get ANY benefit...(except a pension), and child benefit should only be paid out permanently for the first 2 children....no wonder we can't get spending under control when we give public money away so easily.

And as for Emma's comments on Pete's post about the benefit cheat, not only do they give you a bad name, but they are stealing money paid by taxpayers like me, to people who really do need it, so the undeserving, un-needy and downright dishonest are taking money away from those people struggling to find work, the genuinely sick and disabled....and bugger all seems to happen to stop it.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
Without making any comment about what is deserved and what isn't, surely pension comes into the definition of benefit if it is paid to anyone and not linked to work done?

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »
Without making any comment about what is deserved and what isn't, surely pension comes into the definition of benefit if it is paid to anyone and not linked to work done?

Surely part of the tax & NI contributions we pay is for the Government Pension Fund. and is
linked to work done.
After all your pension is based on how many years you have worked, which in turn determines
how much pension you are entitled to.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »
Of course it is linked to 'work done' Slacker. I don't class it as a benefit as my working life spanned from 15 - until 60 and I paid into the  national insurance scheme.
I know of some who don't bother --- THEY will get benefits once retired - that is my gripe.
Just a thought as a really don't know how this works, but when someone is out of work is their N/I stamp taken out of benefits they get?  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk